MikeW

Postby MikeW » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:09 pm

Hi, sometimes when viewing feeds, when I click the URL to visit the page that contains the content, it is loaded in the webbrowser frame. Is there a way to get awasu to cache the page I visit and let me jump back to that next time I visit the same feed and click on the old news article?

(Also, it would be really really nice if the IE frame could be locked down so no popup windows are shown or activex objects, javascript, etc...)

Beautiful software,
Thanks for creating it

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:50 am

MikeW wrote:Is there a way to get awasu to cache the page I visit and let me jump back to that next time I visit the same feed and click on the old news article?

Awasu uses IE's cache so this is already happening. Pages are still accessible even when not connected to the net (check out File|Work offline).

MikeW wrote:(Also, it would be really really nice if the IE frame could be locked down so no popup windows are shown or activex objects, javascript, etc...)

There will be a safe mode coming Real Soon Now that will strip out JavaScript, etc. from feed content that will stop these kinds of thing.

MikeW wrote:Beautiful software,
Thanks for creating it

Thanks! :-)

MikeW

Postby MikeW » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:46 pm

support wrote:
MikeW wrote:Is there a way to get awasu to cache the page I visit and let me jump back to that next time I visit the same feed and click on the old news article?

Awasu uses IE's cache so this is already happening. Pages are still accessible even when not connected to the net (check out File|Work offline).

For really large full content feeds like gizmodo it takes a while to send a
GET /images/image.gif
If-Modified-Since: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:19:36 GMT

and getting back
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Cache-Control: max-age=1
That slight delay times every image on the page. Could awasu eventually implement something like getting IE to not checking for updated images and over-riding the max-age.

But then again, scraping all feed content (and the content behind the linked url) to it's own DB would be really interesting, and be really handy for loading up pages instantly regardless of age, and make it more fun to search. (Plus bloat it up the DB a bit).

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:23 pm

MikeW wrote:Could awasu eventually implement something like getting IE to not checking for updated images and over-riding the max-age.

Yup, as soon as someone can tell me how :-)

MikeW wrote:But then again, scraping all feed content (and the content behind the linked url) to it's own DB would be really interesting, and be really handy for loading up pages instantly regardless of age,

This has been on The List for ages and I took another look at it recently. The plan was to save pages in the database as MHT's but I am yet to find a decent library that will generate the MHT's for me...

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”