View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

Post New (perspective) user and questions
Hello,

I am a (*very* heavy) paid FeedDemon/Google Reader user but, after 6 years, I have decided it's time to move on as Nick Bradbury himself (FeedDemon's developer) was very clear in the FeedDemon forum as he wrote to me "Users with your requirements aren't the customers I'm designing FeedDemon for, so if that's what you really want, you should consider using another piece of software".

Clear enough, e? And from the horse's mouth :) But no offense to Nick, he seems like a really nice guy, very helpful and, really, he has done great work with FD and other projects over the years.

So, from my research, it seems that Awasu is the program I need. I am especially attracted to the heavy-duty information processing of Awasu, and from what I've seen there's nothing else in the market quite like it, and many congratulations for that. It goes without question that the professional version is the one I'm interested in.

I have two questions. First, how should I be thinking of making the move from FeedDemon? I have a large (1.3GB) FeedDemon database (SQLite) which I would ideally want to bring into Awasu somehow. Basically I need that data for historical/archival purposes, and to be able to run queries/reports against it.

Second, a question regarding Google Reader. I know that GR stores a lot more feed items than it syncs to FeedDemon. I can see this when I go into a feed in GR and keep scrolling down, GR seems to have a pretty long history of that feed, but to FeedDemon it's sending much fewer items. Could there be any way, through a script/extension/plugin or whatever to get those old items from GR into Awasu (even the whole feed history perhaps)?

And last but not least, I tried to evaluate the personal edition, but to be honest it offers me little in terms of evaluating opportunity. The GR sync doesn't work, and it is generally way too restricted to evaluate it for the heavy usage I need it for. Is there an evaluation for the professional edition?

That's it for now.

Cheers,

--ilias.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:40 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: New (perspective) user and questions
isarris wrote:
Nick Bradbury himself (FeedDemon's developer) was very clear in the FeedDemon forum as he wrote to me "Users with your requirements aren't the customers I'm designing FeedDemon for, so if that's what you really want, you should consider using another piece of software".

Clear enough, e? And from the horse's mouth :) But no offense to Nick, he seems like a really nice guy, very helpful and, really, he has done great work with FD and other projects over the years.

Yes, I've been following that conversation with great interest :-)

You're right, Nick is a nice guy and he has done a great job with FD and he's also correct when he says that "[u]sers with your requirements aren't the customers I'm designing FeedDemon for". Here at Awasu, we've had a similar issue with people complaining that Awasu is too hard to use and our response is essentially the same as Nick's (although I may not necessarily have been quite so forthright :-)). We target different market segments and you simply can't please everyone all the time :roll:

I realized early on that the future of RSS was as infrastructure and you would not be able to sell an "RSS Reader" any more than you could sell an "HTML Viewer" (a.k.a. a browser). IMHO, Nick is going down the wrong route and the market segment he is targeting is going to disappear. People are either going to consume RSS in their browsers or other apps (this is the mainstream use he talked about), or they are going to be power users, like yourself. I disagree with his assertion that most RSS readers are oriented towards power users; I think he means that you needed to be a techie to be able to install and use them, which is a fair comment. But power users, no. As you said over there, power users are people who need to do hard-core information processing and Awasu has always been about exactly this, doing something useful with the incoming information, not just passively consuming it like television. Enterprise clients will always have a need for this kind of thing so I don't think our market is going anywhere.

isarris wrote:
I am especially attracted to the heavy-duty information processing of Awasu, and from what I've seen there's nothing else in the market quite like it, and many congratulations for that.

Thank you. "Heavy-duty information processing" is exactly how we pitch Awasu, it's an "information hub".

isarris wrote:
First, how should I be thinking of making the move from FeedDemon? I have a large (1.3GB) FeedDemon database (SQLite) which I would ideally want to bring into Awasu somehow. Basically I need that data for historical/archival purposes, and to be able to run queries/reports against it.

Are you querying the the database directly? We are about to push out the first release candidate for the next general release of Awasu and it has an extensive API, not only for querying archived content but for controlling many other key features of Awasu.

I'm not familiar with the structure of FD's database, but basically, if you can get the information out, you can then push it into Awasu.

Hmmm... a FD->Awasu conversion tool, now there's an idea... :-)

isarris wrote:
I know that GR stores a lot more feed items than it syncs to FeedDemon. I can see this when I go into a feed in GR and keep scrolling down, GR seems to have a pretty long history of that feed, but to FeedDemon it's sending much fewer items. Could there be any way, through a script/extension/plugin or whatever to get those old items from GR into Awasu (even the whole feed history perhaps)?

The big problem that both FD and Awasu have when dealing with GR is that its API is simply not designed for synchronization with third-party feed readers. It sends out the entire content for each feed item, so if you have thousands of feed items in hundreds of channels, you're talking massive amounts of bandwidth, just to do simple things like finding out what feed items GR knows about :wall: But again, if you can get it out of GR (and you should be able to), pushing it into Awasu will be easy.

Is there some reason you need to use GR so much? The philosophy behind Awasu's GR integration is to use it to keep up with your most important feeds while you're away from your computer, but the bulk of your work will be done on your PC.

isarris wrote:
Is there an evaluation for the professional edition?

A trial version of the Pro Edition is available here, the Google Reader plugin is here.

For both of the questions you raised above, if you have developers available, it should be straight-forward for them to do the necessary work, or we can provide consulting services to do it for you. The key philosophy behind Awasu's design is extensibility so if there's something you want to do, there's usually (at least) one way to do it :-)

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 am
Profile WWW

Hello again and thanks for the reply,

Ok, I started the evaluation, but I am having trouble with the Google Reader sync. In the import dialog, I put in my user name, password, clicked ok and get this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "GoogleReader.py", line 7, in <module>
File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 82, in load_module
File "GoogleReaderApi.pyc", line 4, in <module>
File "urllib.pyc", line 26, in <module>
File "socket.pyc", line 45, in <module>
File "zipextimporter.pyc", line 98, in load_module
ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading _socket.pyd

Note that I am running Awasu in portable mode.

Thanks in advance.

--ilias.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 am
Site Admin

Wow, I've never seen this one before.

Do you have Python installed on your system anywhere?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am
Profile WWW

No I don't have Python installed. I forgot to mention that I am running Awasu in a portable fashion (with the .portable file). Could that have anything to do with it?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 am

Also I should mention that I am on Windows 7 64-bit.

By the way, I tried running it in a non-portable way, but I get the same message.

Any ideas?

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 am

More info: I just tried running Awasu in a clean Windows XP SP3 virtual machine (in VirtualBox) and I am getting the same exact error message.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 am
Site Admin

Sigh...

I also test in a VM (although I use VMware) using various flavors of Windows and it's fine.

Running in portable mode won't make any difference. The plugin is actually a standalone EXE that you can run like this:
Code:
GoogleReader.exe .\test.ini

where test.ini looks like this:
Code:
[System]
Action = import
SiamImportFile = import.xml

[Script parameters]
User name = ...
Password = ...
Label = ...

This will query GR for your feeds and put the result in import.xml

Leave this with me and I'll see what I can dig up...

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

BTW, could you please check your GoogleReader.exe. File size should be 5,707,630, MD5 should be d53a4a5bfe80c30ab486d4d01a29dc19.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:06 am
Profile WWW

Sorry I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd just like to add that you're correct there is not another product on the market like Awasu. I have many Channels that are configured completely different than other Channels due to their update frequency, the time of retention, etc. Awasu allows 1) global settings, 2) feed-by-feed settings, or using the Channel Maintenance utility you can 3) select multiple feeds and tweak "some" Channels.

The fact that Channels can appear in multiple folders combined with Channel Filters is also hugely versatile.

Channel Hooks, Channel Reports and the upcoming Awasu API go way beyond anything you'll find anywhere else.

And the support... always outstanding! :clap: Whether via the forum or by email, I've always received a fast response. So don't be afraid to ask questions and toss out ideas; with Awasu most things are possible.

I am a satisfied Awasu customer. :afro: You can search the forum for my posts in the last two years to get an idea of my thoughts on Awasu.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:15 am
Site Admin

kevotheclone wrote:
You can search the forum for my posts in the last two years to get an idea of my thoughts on Awasu.

I should put that link in the navbar on the main site or somewhere like that :roll:

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:35 am
Profile WWW

support wrote:
I should put that link in the navbar on the main site or somewhere like that :roll:

It should be required reading for all new users. :drevil: No... wait... that would scare them away... anyway...

:idea: I got an idea, it may not help 'cause I don't know if what I'm proposing is 100% accurate.

Although, isarris said that he (I'm guessing the gender) doesn't have Python installed, maybe some other application has installed a PythonNN.dll (where NN is the version number) in one of the directories in his %PATH%. And maybe the Python version of this DLL is incompatible with GoogleReader.exe.

isarris, I'm not questioning whether you know whether Python is installed or not, I'm sure you'd know if you fully installed Python, but maybe some other app has installed part of the Python run-time that is incompatible with GoogleReader.exe

Taka when you compile GoogleReader.exe did you do so in a way that it would not need PythonNN.dll?
You probably did due to the large size of the GoogleReader.exe, but I thought I'd bring up this idea.

One test that may blows a hole in my theory is isarris's unsuccessful test on a "...clean Windows XP SP3 virtual machine...". There probably wouldbn't be a PythonNN.dll file in the %PATH%. :(

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:57 pm
Site Admin

isarris wrote:
ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading _socket.pyd
I finally managed to get hit by repro this problem and the first result in Google for this phrase is here :wall: S'funny how these things happen :roll:

Turns out the problem is a dependency on msvcr71.dll. The EXE itself doesn't have a dependency on it, but there must be some Python module bundled up in it that does, which is why my dependency checker didn't find it.

The workaround is to put a copy of msvcr71.dll in the same directory as the plugin EXE - you can find a copy in the Awasu installation directory.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:24 am
Profile WWW

This may not directly have helped this problem as the DLL dependency wasn't easily discernible, but it might help in some future problems.

This simple one-line batch file gives you the ability to type something like which msvcr71.dll and find that the the first instance of the msvcr71.dll in your %PATH% is C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcr71.dll (YMMV):
Code:
@echo.%~$PATH:1

This is documented if you type call /?.

I found this info long after this thread was active, on Ray Chen's blog: A 90-byte "whereis" program.

Sounds like it's similar to the Unix "which" command

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]