keepfeed

Postby keepfeed » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:35 pm

I like having a limit of what Awasu displays in each channel because that avoids a huge amount which makes feed reading a nightmare. The Google Reader, for example, shows everything and updates every nanosecond so it seems, so just to select what to read from their constantly updated lists is hard work and the need for it arises far too often.

However, what am I losing with Awasu? I presume if I ask for 20 items and updates every hour I get the most recent 20 and if there is an update before I have checked the last 20, I get the newer 20 and lose as many from the old 20 so there still are at most 20 displayed. (That is what I would expect but I am not sure it always happens quite like that because newer items sometimes appear lower down in the list.)

Reasonable enough, except that is rather random and I miss important stuff. Actually it does seem to work well but does that mean I lose an important item such as "Colonel Gadaffi threatens to use nuclear weapons" when a newer item arises "Lady Gagga releases her latest perfume in downtown Goonsville" ? Now if the news excluded such rubbish and there only was real news there would not be a problem, but they don't!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 pm

keepfeed wrote:I presume if I ask for 20 items and updates every hour I get the most recent 20 and if there is an update before I have checked the last 20, I get the newer 20 and lose as many from the old 20 so there still are at most 20 displayed. (That is what I would expect but I am not sure it always happens quite like that because newer items sometimes appear lower down in the list.)

This is correct (the reason why you sometimes see newer items down the list is due to problems with the way RSS works and is, unfortunately, not something that can be worked around).

The reasoning behind the design is that if items are coming in that fast, then overall they're not that important. If there are critical items that must not be missed, channels can still be individually configured to show content from the last N days and you can use things like item filters and search agents to highlight them. Items will also still always be archived and things like search channels used to track them.

keepfeed

Postby keepfeed » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:22 pm

That is very helpful and does reduce the guesswork. I have tried several feed readers and never ever had an explanation of this.

The reasoning is..
Cannot say I entirely agree, although when I suspect I may have missed stuff I do look back in time exactly as you say. No, mostly I rely upon the fact that if Gadaffi does something it is reported 14 times in each channel with often trivial differences, whereas with Lady Gagga, there are liable to be only 5. So, in eithe case I am sure to see one or more of the duplicates even if I miss some.

To tell the truth, this all started some years ago when I stopped buying newspapers because even the prestigious ones now have become largely such trash. I only began to feel at all comfortable reading the news online when I noted that I appeared to be better informed in discussions of what is going on in the world with those who still read hard copy.

And, one big plus of feeds is that you can broaden the range with additional channels and still cope. In the UK all the sources say almost exactly the same thing (some also adding their political bias) but go abroad for world news and add the NYT or Washington Post and you get additional important news not even reported in the UK and alternative perspectives too.

That in my not so humble opinion is the greatest strength of feed readers, the world is your oyster.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

So to summarize...

When you set the "Show the last" setting in the "Tools, Options, Display" dialog or in a individual Channel's "Properties, Channel" dialog to a value such as 20, Awasu will still add all new feed items to it's archive database, but will only display the newest 20 items based upon this setting.

So nothing is really "lost", but you may not see all items due to the above setting.
Hopefully I'm on the right track with that summary.

Now personally I don't have the "Show the last" setting on at the global level and I've only set it on a few individual Channels. Instead I use the "New content", "Unread items" and "All" Channel Filters to limit/expand the number of Channels/feed items that I see.

I'll typically start with the "New content" Channel Filter, and read only from the Channels that have new content, then I'll switch to the "Unread items" Channel Filter and read from the Channels that have unread items. I've mapped the "Mark all as read" command to the F12 key, so when I'm reading from a Channel I'll usually scan all the headlines, read the ones I care about or send them to a Workpad (to read them later) and then I'll mark the whole Channel as read, by pressing F12.

This may not help anyone but that's my primary non-Search Channel usage pattern.

Remember: Search Channels rock! :afro:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:53 am

kevotheclone wrote:So nothing is really "lost", but you may not see all items due to the above setting.

Yes, this is correct.

Also, in the browser tab's embedded toolbar, there is a "Format" button that you can use to temporarily change the settings that control which items are being shown (changes remain in effect until the window is closed). Default hotkeys are defined for the most commonly-used ones, so you can switch quickly, and you can also define your own.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:07 am

kevotheclone wrote:when I'm reading from a Channel I'll usually scan all the headlines, read the ones I care about or send them to a Workpad (to read them later) and then I'll mark the whole Channel as read, by pressing F12.

There's also an option in the first page of the Channel Properties dialog to automatically mark all items as read when the channel's window is closed.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”