pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:40 pm

I am getting content from approximately 700 blogs - and have them separated into about 7 or 8 different folders.

At this time, I have decided there is one set of blogs in a folder for which I do NOT wish to load daily content.

How can I set up Awasu to get the feed posts for all folders except that one, temporarily? At this point, I don't want to delete them - just don't want anything pertaining to those specific blogs downloaded for awhile.

Thanks for any help!
:)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Hmmm....

It's fairly easy to do this if you can program a bit, by tweaking the .CHANNEL config files directly. Other than that, there isn't really an easy way of doing it. The ChannelMaintenance utility can be used to make bulk changes to channel configurations but it doesn't really work by folder and it probably won't be any quicker than making the change within Awasu channel-by-channel.

How many channels are we talking?

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:46 pm

I think about 150....plus or minus a few. Quite a bit. I don't really want to have to program each individual channel!

What do you think? I could just let it go, but when I travel, Verizon charges by download size - so I don't want to have those channels I'm currently uninterested in continue to be part of the updates.

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:10 pm

pinemeadows wrote:when I travel, Verizon charges by download size - so I don't want to have those channels I'm currently uninterested in continue to be part of the updates.

So this is something you're likely to want to turn on and off?

How about this: run ChannelMaintenance and disable automatic updates for all channels (set Auto-download enabled to 0). Channels in a folder can be manually updated by right-clicking on the folder and choosing Update now (hold down SHIFT to include sub-folders), so you could create a folder for channels you want to update, put the relevant channels in that folder, and then manually update all channels in the folder as required. Remember, channels can be placed in more than one folder (hold down CONTROL when dragging them around), so you won't have to mess up your existing folder arrangement.

A bit clunky, but it'll work.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Ignore all that stuff above about creating a new folder, I just thought of a better way :-)

Create a channel filter that shows the channels you want to update e.g. configure it to include the folder you don't want to update, then tick Show non-matching channels instead.

Apply this filter, then right-click on the My Channels "folder" and choose Update all.

Neat :clap:

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I'll try that!

Thanks! :)

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:32 pm

I did that, but when I right click on "My Channels", the update line is greyed out. ???? I wonder why.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 am

pinemeadows wrote:I did that, but when I right click on "My Channels", the update line is greyed out. ???? I wonder why.

Bizarre. It seemed OK when I checked it last night but not any more. I managed to occasionally get the menu option enabled so I think there's some weird timing issue with the GUI toolkit Awasu uses.

Leave this one with me and I'll whip up something to do what you want.

pinemeadows

Postby pinemeadows » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

Thanks! I appreciate your willingness to do this for me.

BJ

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:18 am

I've whipped up a quick script to do what you need.

First, make sure you back everything up first!

Then download and install Python and the WIN32 extensions.

The download and save the UpdateChannelConfig-v1.py script. Open it in a text editor and set the ROAMING_DATA_DIR and CHANNEL_FOLDERS values. If you double-click on the script file, it should run and disable auto-update for all the channels in the specified folder.

Then, create a copy of the script file and change CHANNEL_UPDATES value so it has enableAutoUpdate. Double-clicking on this file should re-enable auto-update for your folder channels.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”