WashMeAway

Postby WashMeAway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:46 pm

I am officially in trial mode. I like Google Reader, but I have felt for some time that something better exists. Why should I choose Awasu??
---Give Unto Me All That You Have---

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:02 pm

WashMeAway wrote:Why should I choose Awasu??

There's a discussion about exactly this here.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:51 am

Did you take the Tour, or examine the feature list?

Your choice of software is highly personal, but here's a few of the things that set Awasu apart from other feed readers:

Feed-by-feed customization
Awasu is highly customizable, both in way feeds are retrieved and archived and in the way they are displayed. Awasu provides a way to set global defaults, and allows feed-by-feed customization. Here's an example: I used to have Yahoo! Traffic feeds (Yahoo! discontinued the feeds recently) that were updated frequently so I set Awasu to check them frequently too. But I didn't care about traffic problems that occurred in the past so I set the archive period to the minimum (one day). Also, in these feeds, the <link/> element pointed to an image of a traffic map with a pointer to the specific incident (accident, CarBQ, etc.). I didn't like the extra link click to see the map images so I created a new Channel Summary Template that included an HTML image displaying the map right in the body of the feed. Awasu help me to get to work on time.

Other feeds need a longer archive retention time and/or don't need to be retrieved less often; Awasu offers this flexibility to get the most out of each feed.

What Google Reader won't show you
Awasu allows you to extract extra data attached to feeds, using Metadata modules. Awasu comes with several Metadata modules, but you can create your own too as I did to extract earthquake information, ShakeMap and geographical coordinates GeoRSS. I just found some new metadata from some online radio stations that provide additional info about the songs/artists that they are playing; only Awasu has the capability to extract/store/display this info.

Republishing
Awasu's Channel Reports allow you to republish/export feed data to files and email/ftp them. I've written a couple of Channel Report Templates that allow you to export feed data into an eBook or Excel or Google Earth. Of course Awasu lets you export individual feed items to web services like Delicious, Twitter, etc.

Miscellany
Awasu can runs portably; from a USB thumb drive and sync with other Awasu copies and/or Google Reader.

Awasu features Channel Filters that help control what feeds are displayed; great for when you start subscribing to 100s of feeds.

Awasu features Workpads where you can store feed items locally to read later or to republish.

That's just scratching the surface, and sadly I'm out of time...

After examining the facts, choosing Awasu Professional Edition was a "no brainer" for me. :D
Hope it works for you too!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:43 am

We really missed you around here, kevo... ::-):

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:45 am

kevotheclone wrote:What Google Reader won't show you

And of particular interest to power users, GR won't show you password-protected feeds either.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 pm

support wrote:We really missed you around here, kevo... ::-):

It's good to be here! :D

I would have like to reply sooner but couldn't find the time, and as it was my reply was totally incomplete...

1. There's the customizable Item Pane.
  2. The fact that Awasu lets you organize the same feed into multiple folders, combined with Channel Filters is a really powerful way to organize/display/combine feeds. You can also add a "tag"-style text to the feed's description and create a Channel Filter that only displays feeds that have that "tag". This is an immensely flexible feature in creating arbitrary groups of feeds across folder sub-trees.
  3. Application Plugins! (Usenet, POP3, virtually anything you can think of...)
  4. Channel Hooks!
  5. Channel Plugins!
  6. XSLT pre-processing!
  7. And lets not forget the newly added Awasu API!

Sometimes Awasu acts more as an information agent on my behalf than as a sit down news reader, but it does both of these tasks admirably! :bow:

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”