jiripik

Postby jiripik » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:23 am

Hi:

the program is really cool, but it is virtually unusable on my 1 year old top notebook as the CPU usage is always over 50% and the computer stops responding.

Would it be please possible, like in other programs, put there some control over how much CPU is used? And download it in the background with low priority.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:33 pm

jiripik wrote:the program is really cool, but it is virtually unusable on my 1 year old top notebook as the CPU usage is always over 50% and the computer stops responding.

This is happening when Awasu is updating lots of channels, right? CPU usage will be high since Awasu is doing a huge amount of work processing the incoming content, but it is also configured to step back and let other programs use it if they need it. If you're monitoring CPU usage via Task Manager, it's notorious for providing a somewhat inaccurate picture of what's going on.

Most likely what's causing your computer to hang is disk usage. Windows has always been bad for managing I/O from multiple programs and since most notebooks have slower disks (e.g. 5400 or 4200rpm), that's only going to make things worse.

The first thing to do is to re-configure how Awasu indexes your content. If you never use the search feature, turn it off completely - from the Tools menu, choose Options, go to the Archive page and untick Enable the search index. If you do use the search feature, you can defer updates to it by ticking Restrict search index updates and choosing an appropriate time to do them e.g. overnight. You should find that both these options make Awasu run significantly faster.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”