charlie

Postby charlie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi Support,

I have 4 question on problems I'm having with Awasu and my clients are particular about it.

They are:
1.) Getting twitter feed and RSS into Awasu. I have gone through online help and the forum, but can't get help from them. How do I get awasu to sync with twitter feed/RSS they are following.

Ques 2.) I did the syncing as explained in online help onto another PC using flash drive. On the second PC some channels, contents and folders were missing. How do I sync the awasus correctly. I am having difficulty in that regard?

Ques 3.) What do you mean by this example - if you sync between home and work 5 days a week, this should be set to something larger than 3 (i.e. the 3 days between Friday and Monday). I find it very difficult to understand how to set historical date.

Ques 4.) I also observe the presence of jargon in the browser search result and on the wordpad. How do I minimize this?

Please, I need quick response as I am running out on meeting the deadline set by my client.

Carriageway Consulting

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 am

charlie wrote:1.) Getting twitter feed and RSS into Awasu. I have gone through online help and the forum, but can't get help from them. How do I get awasu to sync with twitter feed/RSS they are following.

Awasu used to have built-in support for Twitter, but they no longer allow it. If you Google for them, there are lots of services that offer Twitter monitoring via RSS.

charlie wrote:Ques 2.) I did the syncing as explained in online help onto another PC using flash drive. On the second PC some channels, contents and folders were missing. How do I sync the awasus correctly. I am having difficulty in that regard?

What happens if you try to do the sync again?

charlie wrote:Ques 3.) What do you mean by this example - if you sync between home and work 5 days a week, this should be set to something larger than 3 (i.e. the 3 days between Friday and Monday). I find it very difficult to understand how to set historical date.

Take the maximum number of days between sync's, and double it. For example, if you sync once a week, set it to 14.

To be honest, you can just set it to something like 30, and it will be fine. The sync file will be larger, but not excessively so.

charlie wrote:Ques 4.) I also observe the presence of jargon in the browser search result and on the wordpad. How do I minimize this?

What jargon?

charlie

Postby charlie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:18 am

Hi support,

Can you recommend a service that offer twitter monitoring via RSS. It is very important and urgent for our client.

2.) The jargon i'm referring are garbage that appears on news feed result like mutilated text.

charlie

Postby charlie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 am

Hi support,

I attempted to sync PC-B again, but the data updated independently but have not been able to sync with the work PC-A. Basically, I did not have exactly what is on PC-A on the second PC-B.

Secondly, I assumed that if I effect any change on any of the awasu, like adding a New Channel, it will automatically sync on all other synchronize PC with awasu. In effect my own PC-B have not synced.

I need you to clarify on this.

Carriageway

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm

charlie wrote:Can you recommend a service that offer twitter monitoring via RSS.

I haven't used any of them, so no, I can't give a recommendation.

charlie wrote:2.) The jargon i'm referring are garbage that appears on news feed result like mutilated text.

Check the raw feed XML. The most likely explanation is that there are errors in the feed itself.

Otherwise post the feed URL here and send me a screenshot of the bad text.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 pm

charlie wrote:Secondly, I assumed that if I effect any change on any of the awasu, like adding a New Channel, it will automatically sync on all other synchronize PC with awasu.

It won't happen automatically, you need to re-sync to transfer any changes.

charlie

Postby charlie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:06 pm

I just made purchase of Awasu Pro and a download link was sent to my mailbox. I successfully downloaded the installer but why installing, I get the error "can't sniff for an old version of awasu: please contact awasu support"". What do i do to correct the error.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi Charlie, I'm a happy 6-year Awasu Pro user... I haven't sync'd between PCs before so I can't help you with that but, regarding Twitter and Awasu, about a year ago I started working on a Channel Plugin for Awasu that will allow you to subscribe to one or more Twitterer's Tweets as an RSS feed.

I've been extremely busy with other things in my life and haven't quite finished this Channel Plugin but it's really close to being complete. I'm going to talk to the Awasu support staff about the problems I'm experiencing and see if they can help me resolve them. If we can get the problems resolved I'll release the Channel Plugin for free and it will be available for download from Awasu's Wiki: http://www.awasu.com/wiki/Extensions

Due to the changes with the Twitter API you or your client will need to register an "Application", which will provide you with the following authentication data:
  • Consumer Key
  • Consumer Secret
  • OAuth Token
  • OAuth Secret

You can start defining your Twitter "Application" here: https://apps.twitter.com/
Each Application get's it's own limited quota of HTTP calls that it can make per day (I think it's 50,000), so you should create a new Application for each client.

You will then need to enter these values into the Channel Plugin's configuration file so that it can authenticate itself to twitter on your behalf.

So hopefully in 1-2 weeks we will have the ability to subscribe to Twitter Tweets in Awasu.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:21 pm

charlie wrote:but why installing, I get the error "can't sniff for an old version of awasu: please contact awasu support"".

Sorry about this, I've been trying for a long time to figure out why this is happening. It's usually got something to do with some weird accounts that other software has created on your machine, which is why it's been so hard to track down.

I'm going to send you an email...

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 pm

kevotheclone wrote:Due to the changes with the Twitter API you or your client will need to register an "Application"

Hey, good to see you're still alive... ::-):

Coincidentally, I was looking again at he possibility a Twitter plugin the other week, and my understanding was that even though you can register an application, it still needs to be approved by the user you want to monitor?

AFAICT, searching the public timeline is still OK, although this is not what people are likely to want to do, they're going to want to subscribe to specific people.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 pm

support wrote:Hey, good to see you're still alive... ::-):

Good to be alive. Good to be back on Awasu forums. I'll be much more alive in a few more months. :wink:

I'll email with some of the details but I can run the code in the PyScripter IDE and it works fine, from the command line, I'm getting some additional errors as well as in Awasu.
At one point when I ran it on the command line I received an error regarding Unicode decoding at the point where I'm using the "print" statement to write to STDOUT, but I can run it in the IDE without receiving the Unicode error. I might try replacing the print statement to the sys.stdout.write() method and retesting.

FYI I'm using the fixes text for you library
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ftfy
https://github.com/LuminosoInsight/python-ftfy

Functionality in First Release
  • You can subscribe to your "home timeline" which is what you'd see on your Twitter homepage.
  • You can subscribe to your "user timeline" which is just your tweets
  • You can subscribe to the timelines on people that you already follow on Twitter: @jimboystacos @drewskishotrod MamaKimCooks KrushBurger WichOnWheels, as well as people that you don't follow on Twitter: @cshirky @howardlindzon (I know these guys didn't approve my app as it worked on the very first test)
    Note it works with or without the @ symbol
  • You can also subscribe to any user's "favorited tweets"
  • If you've defined a "list" in twitter (groups of Tweeters) you can subscribe to it via this plugin.
  • You can subscribe to a feed of 1) search terms: "python programming", 2) hashtags: #pycon #awasu, and/or 3) stock symbols: $GOOG
  • You can subscribe to "mentions of you" where somebody has embedded @YourTwitterId in their tweet
  • You can subscribe to "retweets of you" where somebody has re-tweeted one of your tweets

All of the above items can be combined into a single feed from a single instance of this plugin (//admittedly I haven't tested a really radical aggregation of these together, just a handful at a time//).
All feed items can be HTML marked up so that #Hashtags, $Symbols, URLS, and @UserMentions are hyperlinked as they are on Twitter's home page.

This is a lot more than the old Twitter Atom/RSS feeds provided

Deferred to Second Release
There a couple of other feed sources which are planned for a second release, such as 1) Current/Daily/Weekly Trends, and 2) Direct Messages that you've sent (requires a certain elevated setting in your Twitter Application settings, and thus more documentation from me :annoyed: ).

I'll email you this weekend with what I've got so far, I'm sure you can turbocharge the development process. :bow:

Thanks again for the ever wonderful Awasu!!!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:22 am

kevotheclone wrote:At one point when I ran it on the command line I received an error regarding Unicode decoding at the point where I'm using the "print" statement to write to STDOUT, but I can run it in the IDE without receiving the Unicode error.
This is almost certainly a problem with the console not handling the encoding properly. If you run it from the command line and pipe the output to a file, it will probably work.

Since "print" sends its output to sys.stdout, you need to switch this file handle to use UTF-8:

Code: Select all

sys.stdout = codecs.getwriter("utf8")( sys.stdout )
You need to output UTF-8, since this is what Awasu is expecting (and for stderr as well). Just realize that sometimes you will get an error if you try to send the output to the console, but if you pipe it to a file, then open that file as UTF-8, you should see your output properly.

More info here.

kevotheclone wrote:This is a lot more than the old Twitter Atom/RSS feeds provided
This sounds awesome. People are often asking about a Twitter (and Facebook) plugin, but both these companies go out of their way to make it hard to get at the data, so something like this would be fantastic :clap:

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:24 am

kevotheclone wrote:I can run the code in the PyScripter IDE
BTW, I don't know what this IDE is like, but JetBrains recently released a free version of PyCharm, and it's pretty awesome :)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:59 am

support wrote:

sys.stdout = codecs.getwriter("utf8")( sys.stdout )

Another way of doing things, and what I usually do, is this...

Since the plugin needs to generate a feed, it starts this process by print'ing this:

print "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?>"
to set the encoding for the feed.

Then I have a method that looks like this:

def safeXmlVal( val ) : return val.replace("&","&amp;").replace("<","&lt;").replace(">","&gt;").encode( "utf-8" )

to encode any data to UTF-8, as well as escape any special characters, which gets used like this:

print "<title>%s</title>" % safeXmlVal(title)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”