View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Post Windows Update and Microsoft Update fail because of AWASA
Because AWASA clears the "Use HTTP 1.1" selection in Internet Options, Windows Update and Microsoft Update fail and give error number "0x80072f76".

I have spent several days tracking this down.

In another thread it is admitted that AWASU is clearing this setting and that setting is all it takes for the updates to work again.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Post It is inexcusable for application to alter standard settings
Not to developers of AWASA. It is inexcusable to alter standard settings on a users machine. Because of this I do not feel I can trust you to alter or put other unwanted items on my machine. This sort of behavior causes untold hours of support problems.

Goodby

Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:22 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: It is inexcusable for application to alter standard sett
This was a really tough decision for us to make. We are fully aware that changing global settings like this is not a Good Thing but we had to choose between the lesser of two evils.

We had the horrible situation where a combination of bugs in Windows and some web servers caused Awasu (and other applications) to go haywire. Our research at the time indicated that changing this setting should be relatively safe and indeed, doing this is Microsoft's recommended fix! Given that this bug has been around since IE 4.0, we weren't holding our breath for a fix to be released any time soon :-(

So, we could either have Awasu go haywire (and it was happening a lot) but tell users that it wasn't our fault, or change a setting as per Microsoft's instructions, that appeared to be relatively safe to change. I spent a <u>lot</u> of time trying to find an alternative solution but this was the only way to do it.

We're really sorry for the time you've spent tracking this down. Breaking Windows Update is a show-stopper so if this indeed is the case, we'll disable the fix by default.

Thanks for letting us know.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:03 am
Profile WWW

Windows update (including the updated version) works fine for me and has for as long as I can remember.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:26 am
Site Admin

Post Re: It is inexcusable for application to alter standard sett
One thing I forgot to mention: this is the first report we've had of anything like this. However, one person did report a problem being caused by this workaround on their proxy - it required HTTP/1.1 for Windows authentication to work. Given that it sounds like you're in a corporate environment, your problems may be being caused by something similar.

I might also add for the record that the way Windows has implemented this particular misfeature is utterly bizarre. By default, it forces all HTTP requests to become HTTP 1.1 requests, <u>regardless of what HTTP version the program says it wants</u>! :o Unchecking the box in IE's Options dialog tells Windows to use whatever HTTP version the program is actually asking for. One can only assume that some programs are relying on this utterly bent behaviour: they need HTTP 1.1 to work but don't specifically say so and they get away with it because Windows is forcing their requests to become 1.1. As soon as you stop Windows from doing this, the program breaks. Sigh... :-(

Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:11 am
Profile WWW

Post We've had no problems
We run Awasu on a lot of our machines here at work, behind several proxies and have not had any problems with Windows Update at all. Maybe your problems are being caused by something else?

We checked Awasu out pretty thoroughly and it doesn't install any spyware or other nasties. It works as advertised.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:51 am

Based on some additional work on the problem, it is a combination of The HTTP 1.1 setting and Zone Alarm Pro. Stopping Zone Alarm with the Use HTTP 1.1 setting cleared allows the update to work. But the only way the updates work with Zone Alarm running is with Use HTTP 1.1 checked. Since AWASU continuously clears this then it is the cluprit in this combination.

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:02 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for letting us know. Regardless of the fact that it's a combination of things that causes the problem, breaking Windows Update is not on. We're going to re-release 2.2 shortly anyway so we'll make sure that Awasu no longer clears the HTTP 1.1 checkboxes by default. If someone gets hit by the Windows bug, they'll have to turn the fix on themselves.

Until then, this behaviour can be disabled by creating a DEBUG.INI file in the user's home directory that looks like this:

Code:
[Debug]
DisableWinInetHttpVersionWorkaround=1

Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]