squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:56 pm

I was setting up syncing via FTP this morning under 2.2. What I found is that if you don't use the correct .sync extension in the URL portion of the settings, the file does not upload correctly.

My first attempt was to upload a file named awasusync_2.2. My second was to try awasusync_22.

In both attempts, Awasu would just spin in between saving all the sync information and doing the actual FTP upload. In some cases, it would sit so long, even after pressing cancel, that I had to manually kill the application and start over.

Once I stuck .sync on the end of the upload file name, everything worked perfectly.

Jeff

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Can you reproduce this reliably? It happened the first time I looked at it (I think) but I killed the process instead of stopping it in the debugger :-( and now I can't get it to happen again.

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:54 pm

it happened for me 3 or 4 times in a row. Going back to the FTP server later, i found the bad files were created, but had zero bytes. Those were all from my home pc.

I just tried it again from my work PC and the file uploaded correctly.

---

On a related note, it doesn't appear that any of the folder information in the channel bar is syncing for me. I created several on my home PC, but the only folder showing up on my work PC after doing the sync is "my favorites." And i didn't have anything stashed in there, so I don't know if it would have transfered any channel info or not.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:03 pm

squeg wrote:On a related note, it doesn't appear that any of the folder information in the channel bar is syncing for me. I created several on my home PC, but the only folder showing up on my work PC after doing the sync is "my favorites."

So you've deleted the default folders that Awasu created for you and then created some of your own. You do a sync but only My Favorites gets carried over, none of the new ones?

squeg

Postby squeg » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:13 pm

Last night I deleted some of the default folders, created some new ones, re-ordered them a bit, and then put stuff into several of them. This morning I pushed a sync file from my home machine to an FTP server.

I then ran a install of 2.2 from scratch onto my work machine. I'd previously uninstalled and deleted all previous versions of Awasu. Everything looked normal, but i didn't look to see what folders where there, if any.

I then synced from the file on the ftp server and the only folder i found after was my favorites. It was empty, but I'd never put anything in it. There were no other folders present on the work machine after this. All channels seemed to be present and accounted for, but they were unsorted.

I also tried deleteing all channels and logs from Awasu and syncing again. Same effect, no folders.

squeg

Postby squeg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:24 pm

RE: channel folders syncing correctly

I've worked with this further and currently, channel folders seem to be syncing perfectly, so I don't know exactly what might have been the root of the problem.

In case it ever comes up again, here's what I know about what was happening.

After uninstalling awasu 2.1 and removing it's leftover folders, I did a fresh installation of 2.2. I then imported all of my existing channels from an exported OPML file I'd saved. None of the plugin-based feeds worked properly since I hadn't installed any plugins yet. That seemed normal enough. I did all subscriptions in rapid succession via the "quick subsubscribe" feature. I then organized a large number of channels into folders adjusted my program settings and uploaded a sync file to my ftp server.

Afterwards, I did a similar fresh installation on my other computer and synced from the FTP server. All existing folders except "my favorites" were deleted during the sync process and none of my new folders were added.

After using the software for awhile I began to notice that some of my other channels had been corrupted. For instance, i had channel for the "hack a day" RSS feed that instead showed the contents of one of my flickr photo streams. I noticed other channels that seemed to have somehow glued two feeds together.

So noting all of those problems, I uninstalled again, deleted everything, and reinstalled once more from scratch. (Still on the 2nd computer). I then re-added my channels from the OPML file a few at a time. Sorting each group into folders, making sure feed addresses were up to date, and that any broken plugin-based feeds were immediately deleted.

One I was done with all that organization, I saved a new sync file to my FTP server. Later i synchronized my home computer from that file again, and all settings, channels, and channel folders seemed to transfer 100% correctly. Once I was done on the home machine again, I saved a sync file to the server again and synced the work computer from it.

So far everything seems to be back to working as expected. Like I said, I don't know where the problem was introduced. Was it the rapid import from OPML? Was it a sync file? A bad original transfer to the FTP server? I have no idea.

But I figured that if anyone ever ran into something similar, or I encountered it again, this info would begin to help narrow down similarities and differences.

----

And since I haven't said yet.... Let me add that this new version is really nice. It seems to run more smoothly, The folders are great, offering exactly the functionality I was hoping for, including the ability to stick channels in multiple folders. The docking windows are also wonderful, allowing me to place everything where I want. I have run into instances where one window or another does not exhibit proper docking behavior, but it's difficult or impossible to replicate. And like I said, once their placed, the windows behave perfectly. Oh, and the search/indexing functions are also wonderful. I've played around with them and they seem both responsive and crash free.

Thanks for all your hard work. I definitely feel that paying the upgrade renewal was well worth it.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:46 pm

Um, okay... Not sure what could've gone wrong. It may have been been something to do with the fact that you were upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 and sync'ing in a lot of stuff at the same time. I'll have a play with it.

BTW, we've got an updated version fo 2.2 that has several key optimizations that makes Awasu run *much* quicker. Shoot us an email if you'd like to give it a whirl :cool:

squeg

Postby squeg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:43 pm

support wrote:Um, okay... Not sure what could've gone wrong. It may have been been something to do with the fact that you were upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 and sync'ing in a lot of stuff at the same time.

The update shouldn't have much to do with it, since I deleted everything but registry settings on both systems. The OPML file was created from 2.1, but that shouldn't make any difference. Still, I was adding about 145 channels, some of them broken, as fast as I could arrow down the list and click the quick subscribe button. (I think you need an import all switch. :P ) It's certainly possible that had something to do with it.

BTW, we've got an updated version fo 2.2 that has several key optimizations that makes Awasu run *much* quicker. Shoot us an email if you'd like to give it a whirl :cool:

Well, since I'm still getting things setup / adjusting to changes, this would be an excellent time to upgrade again... oh and faster would be swell. I'll pop off that email asap.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:44 am

squeg wrote:I think you need an import all switch.

The list is multi-select :-)

squeg

Postby squeg » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:49 pm

support wrote:The list is multi-select :-)

Ugh. I can't believe I didn't notice that! live and learn, I guess.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”