huntersa

Postby huntersa » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:32 pm

I have just registered the Advanced Edition, however one thing escapes me, why the limitation of 30 minutes for the update frequency.

It seems there shouldn't be a technical reason and that it can only be you plan on charging more later just to east this retriction.

I registered Awasu hoping to use it to track touble tickets I am generating in RSS from our help desk system. 30 minute updates are no use to me, I need it every 2 minutes at least.

More fool me for not reading the features before paying for the Advanced edition - but it seems like there is very little "Advanced" about this edition and that the differences between editions are more to do with you placing restrictions than on any real addition of features in the more advanced editions.

Stuart

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:22 pm

huntersa wrote:why the limitation of 30 minutes for the update frequency.

Quite a few people have asked for the update restriction to be lifted but there is a very good reason why this is in place: bandwidth usage. There has been a lot of discussion in the past in the RSS community about this and it has recently popped again. I talk about this here:

http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9#9
http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=198#198

huntersa wrote:I registered Awasu hoping to use it to track touble tickets I am generating in RSS from our help desk system. 30 minute updates are no use to me, I need it every 2 minutes at least.

The Professional Edition of Awasu is in the works and will allow updates every 5 minutes. This is the only version that is licenced for commercial use. Both the Personal and Advanced Editions are licenced for personal use only. The web site clearly states that if you want to use Awasu for commercial purposes, you need to contact us to get a special licence (until the Pro Edition is released).

huntersa wrote:More fool me for not reading the features before paying for the Advanced edition - but it seems like there is very little "Advanced" about this edition and that the differences between editions are more to do with you placing restrictions than on any real addition of features in the more advanced editions.

We're sorry you feel this way. However, the differences are listed here:

http://awasu.com/comparison.php

and this link was clearly marked in the announcement. It also describes the upcoming features that will only be available in the Advanced Edition and the cost saving you can make be registering early.

huntersa

Postby huntersa » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:25 pm

Quite a few people have asked for the update restriction to be lifted but there is a very good reason why this is in place: bandwidth usage.

That is probably the most patronizing answer you could have give. How dare you tell me what I should and shouldn't do with the DSL bandwidth that I pay for.

Why is it then that your concern for bandwidth disappears with the Professional edition? You don't think company network managers care about what is using their bandwidth?

I'm a grown up, I don't need you patting me on the head and telling me it is for my own good.

I'm sorry, your feigned concern for network utilization rings very shallow for me.

Looks like it will be FeedDemon for me which even in beta allows me to update every 2 minutes, and it doesn't look like they will be bringing out multiple versions of their product with the only difference being artificially crippling the lower priced editions.

Stuart

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:51 pm

huntersa wrote:How dare you tell me what I should and shouldn't do with the DSL bandwidth that I pay for.

Because I'm not. I'm talking about bandwidth costs that the <b>publisher</b> incurs. If large numbers of people start requesting a feed every 2 minutes, the <b>publisher</b> incurs excess bandwidth costs, even if the aggregators are using bandwidth-saving techniques such as HTTP headers and gzip.

huntersa wrote:Why is it then that your concern for bandwidth disappears with the Professional edition? You don't think company network managers care about what is using their bandwidth?

There are two reasons for this. One, far fewer people will be using the Pro Edition than the Personal Edition since it will cost money. Two, the Pro Edition is for people wanting to use it for commerical use and they will <b>need</b> more frequent updates, as you know.

We get thousands of downloads of the free edition every month; it would be nice if we got those kind of numbers for the paid versions but we suspect that won't happen any time soon. RSS is becoming increasingly popular and there are many, many thousands of people out there polling servers for feeds. Other readers (not all) also set a minimum time between channel updates and we are of the opinion that this is responsible behaviour on the part of RSS readers in order to prevent things from getting totally out of hand.

huntersa wrote:Looks like it will be FeedDemon for me which even in beta allows me to update every 2 minutes, and it doesn't look like they will be bringing out multiple versions of their product with the only difference being artificially crippling the lower priced editions.

FeedDemon looks like a very good program. However, once it gets out of beta, based on the price of his other programs, it may not be cheap.

As I pointed out before, there are differences between the two editions right now and there will be more in the future. "Artificially crippling lower priced editions" is perfectly standard pricing practice. For example, the Home Edition of Windows XP costs less than the Pro Edition yet runs off basically the same source code.

huntersa

Postby huntersa » Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:30 pm

Much like robots.txt is used by reputable spiders to limit how much scanning of a site they do, I wonder if it would make sense for RSS to have an item that declared an update schedule.

For example:

<updateFrequency>1800</updateFrequency>

That indicates a well behaved RSS Aggregator should visit no more than once every half hour.

This could even be used to determine automatically what the update duration should be.

Stuart

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:20 pm

huntersa wrote:I wonder if it would make sense for RSS to have an item that declared an update schedule.

I agree. RSS has SKIPDAYS and SKIPHOURS elements that specify days of the week and hours within a day that an aggregator should not poll feeds which is not quite what we want but it's something at least.

It also looks like some people are using the TTL tag to specify how often a channel may be updated but my reading of the spec is that this is not the correct use of it.

[edit]
Even if we were to get a new tag like the one you suggested, there is still the question of whether it should be "thou shalt not update more frequently than this" or "thou shouldst not update more frequently than this." I hope the Pie/Echo/Necho/Whatever-they're-called-this-week guys are listening...
[/edit]

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”