squeg

Postby squeg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:09 pm

Here's something to chew on. I've been spending a lot of time in del.icio.us the last couple of weeks. It's not as perfect as my offline opera bookmarks when it comes to searching, but it is fabulous for it's crossbrowser access from anywhere features. I also make heavy use of the inbox feeds. I'm able to glean all kinds of useful serendipitous information based on tag searches I've set up in advance. There's a lot i'd change if i were in charge, but what's there now is pretty darn useful.

Anyway... the point is... it and similar web apps are adding a lot of expanding value to the disorganized web. It would be nice to be able to access that value from right withing Awasu. To that end, I'd love to see some kind of integrated bookmarking in Awasu. An ability to call the bookmarklets for tagging/posing (pick your favorite verb) information I discover in Awasu and saving it for the long term in my bookmarking engine of choice.

The Archives are great, but you can't archive everything forever. The workpads are great, but they lose their value for very long lists kept for long periods of time. I suppose you could build del.icio.us integration right in to the program. But I think a more general bookmark interface that allowed for javascript bookmarklets would be more robust as it would work for the huge range of web applications.

For the record, I know I can get things *out* of these services by subscribing to their feeds. But being able to add to them without going through another browser interface would be fantastic.

JulianUK

Postby JulianUK » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:16 pm

squeg wrote:For the record, I know I can get things *out* of these services by subscribing to their feeds. But being able to add to them without going through another browser interface would be fantastic.

As another major user of services like del.icio.us, and also someone who is rapidly coming to appreciate the power of Awasu, I second your idea.

There's also a workaround I found that you can do now using the User Tool facility in Awasu.

Create a new user tool with the following command:

Code: Select all

http://del.icio.us/[your del.icio.us ID]?v=3&url={%URL%}&title={%TITLE%}

If you are in an item viewing window of Awasu, click on this user tool and Awasu will open another item window pointing at the del.icio.us entry form, prepopulated with the info from the item of interest.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:25 pm

Yep, Julian's suggestion for a user tool is great. You can also tweak your channel summary templates so that Add to del.icio.us links get added for each item.

Take a copy of your favorite channel summary template and add the following bit of JavaScript to the <head> section (with your own account name inserted):

<script language='JavaScript'>
<!--
function addToDelicious( itemUrl , itemTitle )
{
    window.open( "http://del.icio.us/YOUR-ACCOUNT-NAME?v=3"
                 + "&url=" + encodeURIComponent(itemUrl)
                 + "&title=" + encodeURIComponent(itemTitle)
               ) ;
}
-->
</script>

Then add the line below to the main bit at the bottom where the template inserts each feed item.

<a href='javascript:addToDelicious("{%ITEM-URL%}","{%ITEM-TITLE%}")'>Add to del.icio.us</a>

You will now have an Add to del.icio.us link for every item :cool:

IMPORTANT: It's important you take a copy of the channel summary template file and change that. If you modify the original file, it will be overwritten the next time you install a release!

You might also want to check out this post that explains how to do a similar thing for TalkDigger.

There's no real reason why this tweak has to be done using JavaScript, it's just that there's no way right now to get the item URL/title's out of Awasu in an encoded format suitable for use as a URL parameter. We're going to revamp how metadata is inserted into channel summary pages very shortly so this'll do for the moment. If you've got JavaScript disabled, you can always just insert a <a href='...'> link directly, just be aware it won't work properly if the URL (or title) contain certain characters (notably &).

squeg

Postby squeg » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks, those are both great ideas. I'll play around with both of them and see what I can come up with to meet my needs.

I'm a little ashamed to say I've never even looked at the user tools, but they're obviously easy to use. I've got some other reasons for messing with templates, so that might be my route of choice in the long run, especially as that would let me add items without having to open them.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”