devilina

Postby devilina » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:55 pm

I downloaded v1.1 today, and I first want to congratulate you! It is very good, and the features you will be offering with the professional version are excellent, especially the ability to sync two machines. I will be signing up to purchase mine soon. Nice job!!!

I have spent time learning to use categories and filters. It is an elegant and sophisticated method of sorting channels. However, I am very concerned that it is over the head of your average bear. Usability is something I have been studying for some time, and I can assure you that the best way to make something easily understood is to build on knowledge folks already have. Most average users already get the concept of folders, so it would be easy to apply that skill when using Awasu, if it had folders. The ability to use an already acquired skill will drastically raise the users comfort level, and thus their satisfaction with your app. I think that Awasu has the potential to be the #1 feedreader, but being user-friendly will be key in making that happen, and folders for sorting channels, though not as elegant as categories and filters, will be the most easily understood by the largest number of people. I hope that you will consider creating a system by which to sort channels using folders. Thanks for all your hard work to date!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:19 pm

devilina wrote:I downloaded v1.1 today, and I first want to congratulate you! It is very good, and the features you will be offering with the professional version are excellent, especially the ability to sync two machines. I will be signing up to purchase mine soon. Nice job!!!

Thanks! I've just finished writing an email to one of the other team members explaining that the code for sync'ing two copies of Awasu is almost done :-)

devilina wrote:I have spent time learning to use categories and filters. It is an elegant and sophisticated method of sorting channels. However, I am very concerned that it is over the head of your average bear.

A number of people have said the same thing and I agree. Usability is and ease of use are the key features we have focused on with Awasu. Our goal is to break RSS out of the domain of techies and get everyday people using it as well. But even I find myself occasionally wishing that Awasu just had a simple folder structure :-)

There are a number of things on the must-do list that got deferred because of the 1.1 release that have to be done first but I've already been mulling over on how to get traditional folders and Awasu's filters to co-exist and will implement something soon.

kyodylee

Postby kyodylee » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:33 am

Dozo. Please. Oh yes pretty please with a cherry on top!
Don't know if I'm doing something wrong here but I've resorted to pen and paper to write my channel names down (I now have over 100) so I can enter them into the filters I've created in my Advanced Edition. It would be terrific if each filter worked the same as the built-in Favorites filter that gives you such a nice drop down menu of all your channels to click and add. Unless I'm doing it wrong, must all the other filters' channels be inserted by the search by name or URL method?
Your support is fantastic, Taka, thanks again for all your help.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:59 am

Filtering by name or channel URL is something that will probably not be done very often.

I'll walk you through an example.

Let's say you have a lot of music-related channels and you would like to group them together. Open the Program Options, go to the Search page and create a new channel category called "Music" (by clicking on the appropriate icon in the top-right part of the category list). Click on OK to save your changes.

Go to the My Channels window and right-click on one of your music-related channels and open the Channel Categories sub-menu. You will see your new "Music" category there. Click on it so that it has a tick next it. This channel has now been assigned to the "Music" category. Do this for each channel you want to be in this category.

Open the Channel Filters dialog (in the View main menu) and create a new filter (by clicking on the yellow icon in the top-left corner). Call it "Music". In the Channel Categories part of the dialog, you will see a small button with an arrow pointing right. Click on it and add the "Music" category to the filter.

Press OK to save the new filter. This filter will now pick up any channels that have been assigned to the category "Music".

In the Organize Channel Filters dialog, if you now apply this filter, My Channels will refresh itself to show only those channels in the "Music" category. If you assign a hotkey to this filter e.g. CTRL-SHIFT-M, you will be able to show just these channels with a single keystroke.

Wow. Having typed all this in, it really is a bit complicated :-( :oops: One wizard coming up...

kyodylee

Postby kyodylee » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:42 pm

Great tutorial! I was doing it the other way around. I created the filter first then typed in the channel names to go in that filter. It worked with same result but was kinda laborious. A wizard would be much appreciated. Thanks Merlin. :wink:

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”