GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:57 pm

In my layout, the Tasks pane is pinned on the right and the Default workpad is pinned to the bottom of the main window. All autohide features are turned off.

The problem is that when I exit and restart Awasu, the channel document window overlaps the Tasks pane and the Default workpad making them not visible. To restore the previous layout, you have to select the appropriate options from the View menu.

Also, when Awasu is restarted, the document window is empty. I vaguely remember windows that were open upon closing were automatically opened after starting. Does this cound correct or is my memory failing?

I'm not sure when this started happening, but it could have been after uninstalling the trial version and installing the registered version. During this transition, I did not remove the folders and files left behind by the uninstall script. Can this be fixed?

I'm using Awasu Professional Edition 2.2.

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:45 pm

GoDanno wrote:the channel document window overlaps the Tasks pane and the Default workpad making them not visible.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "overlap". If these windows are pinned, then the other windows will rearrange themselves around them and there will be no overlap. if they are not pinned and are floating, they will always be above the main window and hence cannot be overlapped.

Can you send us a screenshot? (support@awasu.com)

GoDanno wrote:I vaguely remember windows that were open upon closing were automatically opened after starting.

No, Awasu has never done this :-)

Installing a full version on top of a trial should not cause any problems, certainly nothing like this. If you can send through a screenshot, hopefully it'll makes things a bit clearer.

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:49 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "overlap".

By overlap, I mean that the document window is on top of the other windows so that they are not visible.

Can you send us a screenshot?

Yes, a screenshot is on the way.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:57 am

GoDanno wrote:Yes, a screenshot is on the way.

Thanks for that.

The screenshots are very strange, I've never seen anything like it. It looks a problem in the third-party GUI toolkit we use so I'll raise a ticket with the vendor and see what they think.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 am

BTW, if you haven't customized your setup too much, try running ResetUi.exe (in the Awasu installation directory) and see if that helps.

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:04 pm

support wrote:The screenshots are very strange, I've never seen anything like it. It looks a problem in the third-party GUI toolkit we use so I'll raise a ticket with the vendor and see what they think.

I've had similar behavoir with some UI controls before. In order to solve the problem, all I had to do was call the BringToFront/SendToBack or similar method in a certain sequence. If you are able to duplicate the problem, you may want to try to experiment with this. I think somehow the z-order is getting mangled.

I used the ResetUI.exe application (selecting All UI elements), but when I exited and restarted Awasu, the UI was reset. However, when I exited and restarted again, the old behavoir resurfaced.

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:14 pm

I think I've discovered the problem. It's related to the program option: General | Run from system tray.

The previously mentioned problem occurs when this option is selected. When this option is not selected, everything works as expected.

In order to reproduce the problem:

1. Close all channel windows
2. Arrange other tool windows as desired (in my example, the Tasks pane is pinned on the right and the Default workpad is pinned to the bottom of the main window).
3. Open the options dialog and ensure this option is not selected.
4. Shutdown and restart Awasu.
5. Notice the windows are in the same state before shutting down.
6. Now open the options dialog and select this option.
7. Shutdown and restart Awasu (or open a single channel and close it)
8. Notice the Tasks pane and Default workpad windows have gone missing.
9. To get desired behavoir repeat steps 2 and 3.

I have also sent more screenshots demonstraing this phenomenon.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:27 pm

Thanks for taking the time to research this.

IIRC, there was a problem ages ago similar to this that was being caused by Awasu starting minimized. It was in the GUI toolkit and I was under the impression it had been fixed. I guess not. You might find that it's OK to run Awasu from the system tray, just not start minimized.

I'll see what I can do about this.

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:44 pm

support wrote:You might find that it's OK to run Awasu from the system tray, just not start minimized.

No, that dosen't work. If "Run from system tray" is selected and "Start minimized" is not selected, I get the same odd behavoir. It only works as expected when "Run from system tray" is not selected in Program Options.

Thanks for your help!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:10 pm

GoDanno wrote:If "Run from system tray" is selected and "Start minimized" is not selected, I get the same odd behavoir. It only works as expected when "Run from system tray" is not selected in Program Options.

Hmm, that's weird. There's only a few places where <i>Run from system tray</i> comes into play. I'll get a special build out to you that will have a few things you can try. You're running 2.2, right (not 2.2.1.alpha1)?

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:05 pm

support wrote:I'll get a special build out to you that will have a few things you can try.

Thanks. I'll be glad to try a few of things for you.

support wrote:You're running 2.2, right (not 2.2.1.alpha1)?

That's correct. I'm running 2.2.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:26 am

I've finally managed to reproduce this. Can you please confirm that this is what's happening with you:

- <i>Run from the system tray</i> is turned on (this is the only switch that matters).
- Awasu was previously exited while minimized in the system tray.

I think it's the second point that's causing the problem. If you restore Awasu from the system tray before exiting, the next time it starts up with everything arranged correctly, even if <i>Run from the system tray</i> is turned on.

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:06 pm

support wrote:I've finally managed to reproduce this. Can you please confirm that this is what's happening with you:

- <i>Run from the system tray</i> is turned on (this is the only switch that matters).
- Awasu was previously exited while minimized in the system tray.

I think it's the second point that's causing the problem. If you restore Awasu from the system tray before exiting, the next time it starts up with everything arranged correctly, even if <i>Run from the system tray</i> is turned on.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening. I'm glad you were able to reproduce this.

IIRC, the Awasu main window was always minimized when I exited and Run from the system tray was selected. That explains why it happened for me every time.

GoDanno

Postby GoDanno » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:03 am

I've downloaded and applied 2.2.1 alpha2 and confirmed that this has been fixed.

Thanks very much!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:19 am

GoDanno wrote:I've downloaded and applied 2.2.1 alpha2 and confirmed that this has been fixed.

Thanks for letting us know. It's always nice to know the fixes we make actually work :-) (you're not always 100% sure... :roll:).

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”