bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:35 pm

Running 2.2 personal on XP --- every once in a while, Awasu stops rendering HTML. I still see the channels updated, and I can get a list of new items, but when I go to look at an item nothing renders -- the window just stays blank. I can see that it is retrieving *something* [I have TCP monitors that show me that when I select an item, Awasu does a bunch of reading and writing... but then nothing. If I watch the status bar, I can see "web server found, waiting for reply".. and then it just stops.

If I exit Awasu and restart it, it all works fine again...
--
/Bernie\

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:42 pm

bernie wrote:every once in a while, Awasu stops rendering HTML. I still see the channels updated

We used to see this every now and then in the past but haven't for ages now. It's completely baffling - our best guess is that IE has got confused and doesn't want to play any more.

I actually saw something similar when putting together the new channel templates - IE would hit the wall over some CSS bug and get permanently confused.

bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:31 pm

The thing is that my browser still works perfectly fine: I can view all the items by doing "open in new window" [which opens in my browser, Maxthon]. Just clicking on the item or doing 'openin new tab" doesn't get anything...

If you think it is the browser, next time it happens [it's happened twice already today] instead of restarting Awasu I'll try restarting my browser and see if that helps...

tnx...
--

/Bernie\

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:38 am

bernie wrote:The thing is that my browser still works perfectly fine


Sorry, I was a little unclear. I meant the browser window gets confused and stops working. Sometimes it affects all browser windows within the application and so Awasu needs to be started, sometimes it's just the one browser window so closing it and opening a new one is enough.

bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:33 pm

I don't know how rare this problem is for other users but there seems to be something awry in my setup. This AM, I read 3 articles from slashdot and then Awasu hung. Exited, restarted. Read about six articles... hung again. exited restarted. Read *no* articles: just clicked on a feed that had six or seven new articles and I couldn't get any of them: it was hung again.

I've been trying to figure out what it might be that's causing the problem, but I can't see any sort of antecedent action -- the slashdot articles were [as you would guess] pretty ordinary HTML [and similar to the HTML in scores of other slashdot articles I've read]]. On the last it was real strange: after restart the control center showed one feed with with new content. I clicked on the feed and the title list appeared in the upper pane... and the display-pane was hosed. So the bottom line: I can't find *ANYTHING* in the content that might be causing the trouble...
--

/Bernie\

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:10 pm

When you say "hung", do you mean the whole program or just the browser window?

Does Awasu still appear to be working e.g. if you manually update a channel, does anything appear in the Activity Log? If the UI is having problems, the contents are mirrored in the Logs/AwasuActivity.log file in your user's home directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME\Logs).

Some things to try:

- Run ResetUi.exe (this will reset your UI settings and customizations).

- Delete the Index sub-directory (this will reset your search index. Unlikely but it has been known to be tempermental sometimes).

- Delete the ARCHIVE.DB file in your user's home directory. This will erase your archived content.

- Try using Mozilla as the embedded browser? :-)

bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:37 pm

support wrote:When you say "hung", do you mean the whole program or just the browser window?


Sorry to have been so vague: Awasu continues to work *perfectly* in every way. The only thing it will not do is render pages in its html window. I can still follow the RSS feeds because "Open in new window" opens a window in my browser and that works perfeclty, too.

- Try using Mozilla as the embedded browser? :-)

I'm not sure how to do that. I use Maxthon [which uses IE6 under the hood]. I've tried firefox and mostly hated it [compared to Maxthon]. Does this, in fact, sound like some sort of Awasu<->Maxthon interface problem?
--

/Bernie\

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:29 am

bernie wrote:
- Try using Mozilla as the embedded browser? :-)


Open the Program Options, go to the Display tab and change the embedded browser to Mozilla (top-right corner). You'll be given instructions on how to proceed.

bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:48 am

How cool, and simple! mozilla active-x is installed, and I've switched over to it... now to see if the HTML-hangups stop. THANKS!!
--

/Bernie\

bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:06 pm

support wrote:
bernie wrote:
- Try using Mozilla as the embedded browser? :-)


Open the Program Options, go to the Display tab and change the embedded browser to Mozilla (top-right corner). You'll be given instructions on how to proceed.
OK, I switched to Mozilla: I downloaded and installed the Mozilla ActiveX control... and it made browsing-in-awasu work again.. but.. now "open in new window" doesn't work any more.

There are a fair number lot of links and such on various feeds that I really need/want to open in my browser [Maxthon] and it seems that now that function just goes nowhere -- no error, no nothing [and certainly no page opening in Maxthon]. I assume that the switch to Mozilla somehow broke Awasu's connection to my "real" browser... is there a way to have both [mozilla internally, but still properly link to my browser externally?]
--

/Bernie\

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:19 pm

bernie wrote:I assume that the switch to Mozilla somehow broke Awasu's connection to my "real" browser

Awasu doesn't change anything in that regard when you change this setting. Browsers register themselves with Windows as the default browser and when you choose the <i>Open in default browser</i> option, Awasu simply tells Windows to open the URL in the default browser (whatever it may be). If Maxthon is not firing up, it's almost certainly because it hasn't registered itself as the default browser correctly.

To test this, open the Windows Start menu, choose <i>Run...</i> and paste in a URL (complete with the leading <tt>http://</tt>). The URL should open up in the default browser.

bernie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Postby bernie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:52 am

support wrote:
bernie wrote:I assume that the switch to Mozilla somehow broke Awasu's connection to my "real" browser

Awasu doesn't change anything in that regard when you change this setting. Browsers register themselves with Windows as the default browser and when you choose the <i>Open in default browser</i> option, Awasu simply tells Windows to open the URL in the default browser (whatever it may be). If Maxthon is not firing up, it's almost certainly because it hasn't registered itself as the default browser correctly.
Well, I'll just mention that first off, Max passed your test, but second: it was working perfectly [indeed, it was my only recourse, since Awasu's internal HTML renderer was hanging up about twice a day!]. The only change I made was to switch Awasu's rendering engine and Awasu immediately stopped being able to open pages in Max.
--

/Bernie\

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:06 pm

bernie wrote:since Awasu's internal HTML renderer was hanging up about twice a day!

We've found that sometimes IE gets confused and stops rendering pages and because it seems to have something cached, only a restart of Awasu clears the problem. Given that Maxthon also uses IE under the hood, it's possible that something is being cached across processes and so you need to close all instances of IE and any programs that use it internally to clear whatever it is IE is confused about (just guessing here, of course :-)).

bernie wrote:The only change I made was to switch Awasu's rendering engine and Awasu immediately stopped being able to open pages in Max.

I'm baffled by this since it doesn't make any sense :unsure:


Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests