support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat May 20, 2006 3:56 am

vinyl-junkie wrote:their response was basically that since the feed validates, they're not going to fix it.

I think they've misunderstood the problem. It's not so much that Awasu can't handle it as it's not being given the feed properly. Either they're publishing something very odd or the feed is getting mangled somewhere down the line e.g. at your ISP or on your computer. Regardless, if Awasu is being given a bodgy feed, there's not much it's going to be able to do with it.

"Can't read the URL" means that Awasu isn't getting anything at all (this is a Windows error, not an Awasu one). Together with the fact that it's OK in Firefox suggests that you've got a problem with your IE somewhere.

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Mon May 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Just a follow-up to let you know that I seem to have stumbled onto a solution for these problematic feeds.

For each of these feeds, I modified their properties so that each uses a SOAP request pre-processing file of GoogleSearchSoapRequest.xml and a XSLT post-processing file of ReverseFeed.xsl. Apparently, both of those files must be used in order for the feeds to update, although as I said, I don't really understand what they do or why they work. I guess the only thing I need to understand at this point is that I dumb-lucked my way into finding something that solved the problem.

Side note: I wasn't able to upgrade to 2.2 without buying another subscription. Seems that my subscription expired on May 1, 2006, and this problem didn't surface until May 12. :( Turns out though that I needed to upgrade to the Professional Edition anyway. Apparently, the Advanced edition only lets me do the above solution to 5 feeds, and I had a few more than that to do. The good news is that I have a top of the line Awasu subscription now, so I'll have more flexibility to solve issues like this in the future.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon May 22, 2006 4:02 pm

vinyl-junkie wrote:For each of these feeds, I modified their properties so that each uses a SOAP request pre-processing file of GoogleSearchSoapRequest.xml and a XSLT post-processing file of ReverseFeed.xsl.

This is utterly bizarre.

Does it still work if you remove the XSLT? This only gets applied *after* the feed has been downloaded and parsed i.e. after the problems you described earlier.

The SOAP file might make more sense. It sends a special request to the web server (actually, intended for Google's search server) but if it's required to make your feeds work, that suggests that something might be a bit wonky on their servers.

vinyl-junkie

Postby vinyl-junkie » Mon May 22, 2006 4:14 pm

support wrote:Does it still work if you remove the XSLT?

Yes, it looks like it still works without that.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”