Would you use a portable (i.e. USB Flash) version of Awasu?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Don't Care
No votes

Total votes: 0

alendaran

Postby alendaran » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi folks,

I'd like to request a U3 (u3.com) or Portable App (portableapps.com) version of Awasu. I normally carry a USB flash drive now, so I have all my settings and necessary programs with me. I like it because I can use anyone's machine without leaving any legacy stuff on there box. I have lots of friends that are now doing the same thing. From what I have read so far, it looks like it would be pretty easy for you to make Awasu portable.

Thanks Very Much,

Alendaran

8)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:54 am

alendaran wrote:I'd like to request a U3 (u3.com) or Portable App (portableapps.com) version of Awasu.

Check out this post.

Do you like sushi? :-)

alendaran

Postby alendaran » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:35 pm

support wrote:
alendaran wrote:I'd like to request a U3 (u3.com) or Portable App (portableapps.com) version of Awasu.

Check out this post.

Do you like sushi? :-)

Thanks for the link, and that will get me part of the the way there. The trouble is the full path thing. When you go from machine to machine, there is no guarantee as to what drives will be assigned to the flash drive. I believe that part of the process of making the app portable is making it aware that the root drive might change.

Thanks,

Alendaran

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:47 pm

alendaran wrote:The trouble is the full path thing. When you go from machine to machine, there is no guarantee as to what drives will be assigned to the flash drive.

Check out the SUBST command. It lets you map drive letters to an arbitrary directory. So if you set up Awasu to run from Z: drive, when you go to a new computer, when you insert the USB drive and it gets assigned a drive letter, just map Z: to point to the same drive.

Actually, Awasu locates almost everything relative to the main EXE file so it should run fine from a USB drive. The only thing is that a few files are stored using full paths in the config files e.g. report and channel template files. For the latter, if you go into the Options dialog and reconfigure the default channel summary template file, you will be able to open channels again.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”