Christian

Postby Christian » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:28 pm

Awasu uses the internal windows IE to display the web pages pointed at by RSS feeds. Unfortunately the IE browser has fallen behind technologically, the most lacking feature is pop-up blocking, a feature which most other browsers (mozilla, opera) have.

It would be nice to have an option to have awasu simply show the RSS links as shortcuts instead of displaying them in the Awasy window. This would allow the system to open them with the default browser (which if you enabled this option would probably not be IE). It seems to me like this would not be much work, but then again I haven't seen the Awasu code. Now I realize that alternative browsers combined have only 15% of the market, but I bet perople who read RSS feeds as a whole are more techinically saavy and therefore more likely to use alternative browsers.

Basically I'm tired of crappy javascript in IE pop-ups crashing windows explorer, a problem I never have with Mozilla.

Thank you for your consideration,
-Christian

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:38 pm

Christian wrote:Unfortunately the IE browser has fallen behind technologically, the most lacking feature is pop-up blocking, a feature which most other browsers (mozilla, opera) have.

I feel your pain, brother! :-)

Christian wrote:It would be nice to have an option to have awasu simply show the RSS links as shortcuts instead of displaying them in the Awasy window. This would allow the system to open them with the default browser (which if you enabled this option would probably not be IE).

Unfortunately this won't work. Because Awasu uses an embedded IE window in the browser pane, it would be hard to persuade it to open links in a non-IE window :roll: However, if you right-click on a feed item in the item pane (the top part of the window that shows the list of feed items) and open in a new window, it will use your default browser.

Christian wrote:I bet perople who read RSS feeds as a whole are more techinically saavy and therefore more likely to use alternative browsers.

Right now, yes. But we are definitely trying to accommodate non-technical users as well. Rock, meet Hard Place :-(

But all is not lost. You can hack Awasu to use Mozilla as its embedded browser. Details here: http://awasu.com/faqs/ReplacingIe.php

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:21 pm

BTW, if you try hacking in Mozilla, let me know how you go. Obviously this kind of thing is going to be totally unsupported but I'll fix what I can but I need to know about it first!

Goarana666

Postby Goarana666 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:52 pm

Hum,
great program,
But, i`ll have to stop using it because i cant get my mozilla firefox to be the default browser.

It just a question of security.

( i mean what were they thinking - No reason nowadays for not having a simple way of using other browsers.)

Oh well.

goarana

Postby goarana » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:46 pm

UPDATE,
ahhh, managed to download MozillaControl177.exe and just copied the missing components into my firefox folder...
(search google for download)

Tools- Options- then choose mozilla...

None of that regsvr32 mozctlx.dll for me... :D

Now i can sleep easy....

[/b]

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”