MikeW

Postby MikeW » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi folks.
When will there be a setup package of Awasu that includes all the files required to run the latest beta, and the beta itself?
I havn't run Awasu since October, and I do remember that upgrading to betas required me to download and install builds in order. Not fun on 56K.
Any chance the next review candidate will include everything needed to get the latest and greatest beta and hit the ground running?

As a side note, the reason I havn't run Awasu since then is because I decided to try out the competition. I installed Omea Reader Free edition and fell in love with it as it works exactly the way I want a reader to work and doesn't have the channel limits Awasu free has. But now I see on the weblog that Awasu is getting useful features like offline reading (that omea doesn't really have), plus Jetbrains really don't seem to be working on the client anymore.
Perhaps when I get up and running with the next beta roundup package I'll do a compaison of the products and post here to let you know in depth why you lost me as a user.

Good luck with the development, and make the easy to get started installer :)
(Oh and Taka, post on the weblog more often ;) )

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:51 pm

MikeW wrote:When will there be a setup package of Awasu that includes all the files required to run the latest beta, and the beta itself?

What edition do you need? The upgrade process is almost always needed to upgrade the archive database et.al. If you're installing clean, then the process becomes very simple. Even if you have an existing installation, if you don't mind losing your archived content, it's pretty straight-forward. Let us know your situation and I'll post installation instructions here.

MikeW wrote:Jetbrains really don't seem to be working on the client anymore.

Really? So what are they spending all their time on now :?:

MikeW wrote:Perhaps when I get up and running with the next beta roundup package I'll do a compaison of the products and post here to let you know in depth why you lost me as a user.

We'd definitely be interested in that :-) I think... :unsure:

MikeW wrote:Oh and Taka, post on the weblog more often

I'd love to, it's just a matter of time. I'm working on the custom metadata features right now and it's insanely complicated. My brain has no spare bandwidth at the moment :-(

MikeW

Postby MikeW » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:30 am

Taka, I see you are doing some major pimping of how Awasu is already ahead of the curve with Atom, microformats... on blogs tonight. It really made me want to jump in and see what's changed! :D

Anyway, getting a clean installation of 2.2.3 Alpha 2 (from what I can tell on the site anyway) SEEMS to:
Require 2.2.3 alpha 1, which requires 2.2.1 which requires 2.2.
That's a lot of downloading. Is there a simpler way of having a clean awasu 2.2.1 Alpha 2 installation than download four different versioned copies?

Oh, one thing that I love about Omea Reader is how it displays wordpress comments inline so beautifully and at a glance I can instantly see any comments I havn't already read. I hope the same is in awasu when I try it ;)

Exciting times my friend!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:38 am

MikeW wrote:I see you are doing some major pimping of how Awasu is already ahead of the curve with Atom, microformats... on blogs tonight.

Yep, and there's more to come... :oops:

MikeW wrote:That's a lot of downloading. Is there a simpler way of having a clean awasu 2.2.1 Alpha 2 installation than download four different versioned copies?

There are more and more people coming in for the first time in the middle of a release cycle and want to get started without having to install all the previous versions so from the next release, we'll be including instructions for these people as well.

If you just want to install a fresh copy of 2.2.3.alpha2, it's actually quite easy:

(*) Create a new directory somewhere and unpack the release ZIP into it.
(*) Also download and unpack the BCG runtime files.
(*) Also download and unpack the MSVC7 runtime files.

You can have as many installations of Awasu as you want, but only one can be running at any given time.

MikeW wrote:Exciting times my friend!

Indeed. I hate the word "innovative" since it's gotten such a bad smell through overuse by the hypesters but I think Awasu is really starting to push the envelope in terms of what a feed reader can do :cool:

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”