newshound

Postby newshound » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:15 am

In adding or modifying channels, it's a bit frustrating that Awasu has a different order from most other programs. This impacts usability.

For example, one expects to find Properties at the bottom, and New up at the top.

Suggest reviewing these menus and other usability factors for a future release.

Oh -- the little icons -- they _are_ kind of little -- for example, the one on Properties. An icon is supposed to draw the eye quickly and be more or less self-explanatory. To do that, it needs to be large enough, and maybe recognizable if that's possible. The Open icon is really the only one that does the job, basically because a folder is recognizable even if a bit small. After that, things look a bit muddy to me.

Similar comment for the pull-down menu Edit.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:27 am

Thanks for the feedback (no, really! :-))

newshound wrote:For example, one expects to find Properties at the bottom, and New up at the top.

Suggest reviewing these menus and other usability factors for a future release.

I've never understood this in Explorer, IE, etc. I've tried to put the most commonly used items at the top of the menu to minimize the amount you have to move the mouse. Hence the order "Open channel", "Update now", "Properties".

I always use the keyboard anyway: SPACE or ENTER, CTRL-U and ALT-ENTER respectively.

But you can customize these context menus if it's really bugging you. Open the Tools, Customize dialog and go to the Menu page. Select My Channels from the "Select context menu" drop list on the right. A copy of the context menu will appear and you can drag and drop stuff to suit.

newshound wrote:Oh -- the little icons -- they _are_ kind of little --

You can increase the size of the toolbar icons. Open the Tools, Customize dialog, go to the Options page and click on Large Icons. There is also an option on the Toolbars page to show labels on each toolbar button if you prefer. I never use the toolbar either :-)

newshound

Postby newshound » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:49 am

Thanks -- I will try that.

But I shouldn't have to. My mouse is already near the bottom of the screen when I am looking for Properties, it is kind of a reflex action, and many people do the same if one watches. My eyes also are looking at the bottom of the context menu. So sure, I could fix it, but just as with the File>Exit behavior, why not have Awasu behave the way users expect, out-of-the box.

I have no idea who invented putting Properties at the bottom, but it is quite universal. And so are people's mousing behaviors. People with low vision are particularly dependent on programs behaving in a standardized fashion.

Cheerz,
--Newshound

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:06 am

Hmmmm...

I'll have a ponder.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I've been taken to task for not following "standards" (even if they were wrong) and ended up liking them :roll:

newshound

Postby newshound » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:04 am

Tried fixing the menus. Context menus fixed, as you suggested. I could not fix the Edit menu, the items won't move. I also enlarged my icons, and would like to suggest that a separate bitmap would be nicer... the larger icons are jaggier smaller icons. In other words, a separate set of bitmaps to be used when the larger icons box is checked.

No, my mission in life is not to cause you more work, it just seems that way..

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:09 am

newshound wrote:No, my mission in life is not to cause you more work, it just seems that way..

Indeed :whip:

I'll add it to the list... :wall: :cry:

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”