prairieprog

Postby prairieprog » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:46 pm

Not sure how to search for this so am creating a new topic with a quite inadequate description.

Although the list of items in the top window may show say, 9, unread items, the display window below will only show four or will show one and then only part of the text. This is not consistent for every channel. Some display fine. Others do not and I do not see any consistency.

Is this are error in the feed from the originating site or something I can try to fix?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:30 am

prairieprog wrote:Although the list of items in the top window may show say, 9, unread items, the display window below will only show four or will show one and then only part of the text.

I think I know what you mean. When I see this happen, it's because the publisher has made a mistake in their HTML so that a tag in one item is unclosed and because Awasu shows multiple items in a single page, the error carries over to subsequent items, preventing them from being shown.

If you know HTML, you can check if this is what's happening yourself. Otherwise post the feed URL and we'll take a look. Or, when you see the problem happen again, right-click on the page, choose <i>View source</i> and email it to us.

deltabob

Postby deltabob » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:46 pm

I notice this problem too. In "The Dilbert Blog" I see it a lot.

I looked at the feed for it today after seeing this post - and here's what I am seeing with this particular feed:

<link>http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/11/worst_politicia.html</link>
<guid>http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2006/11/worst_politicia.html</guid>
<description>I often think about how hard it would be for me to get elected to public office. I’m not tall and I don’t have good hair. I don’t go to church. I have a documented history of insisting I am...</description>
<content>

The text in the description cuts off after the "I" in the second sentence. There appears to be an issue with the entity used for the apostrophe. When I do a View source from the RSS link from that site, the data is fine - the apostrophe appears to be encoded correctly. Both the feed in Awasu and the feed at the site use utf-8 encoding.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:28 am

deltabob wrote:The text in the description cuts off after the "I" in the second sentence. There appears to be an issue with the entity used for the apostrophe. When I do a View source from the RSS link from that site, the data is fine - the apostrophe appears to be encoded correctly. Both the feed in Awasu and the feed at the site use utf-8 encoding.

Hmmm, okay. Can you send me a copy of the page source. I subscribe to this feed as well and never had any problems.

If you right-click on the page and choose <i>Properties</i>, you can find the URL of the temp file Awasu uses to store the source in. What happens if you open it in a standalone IE window? Firefox or Opera?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:45 am

OK, I've managed to duplicate this problem although it's a bit of an odd one. It seems to have been introduced in 2.2.4.alpha2.

I'm actually in the middle of rewriting the code that generates the channel summary pages and can't really dive in to find out exactly what's causing the problem.

Thanks for letting us know and I'll make sure it's fixed for alpha3.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”