rlmrdl

Postby rlmrdl » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:05 pm

I love the way clicking the XML coffee cup adds a feed, but I only found it by accident. The option is "Listen for" which doesn't mean anything to a non-techie. If it said "enable new feed add when you click this icon would help, it would also be good if you could get it to listen for anyone clicking on any rss feed.

While I'm at it what I'd really like is an integrated application that lets me
a) read the news (Actually a text only option would be good, as well as the full graphic browser)
b) post from the reader to my blog (I love the LJ application that resides on the desktop and lets me post, edit, re-order, delete etc without having to do it over the web) and which enabled either a fresh post or picked up the URL and any selected text from the post I was reading to use as the basis for a new post.
c) the ability to email a link from the reader via Eudora (looks like you have that)
d) News Viewer had a preinstalled list of feeds placed in categories, which was potentially good value, although far to many and when I deleted a category I didn't want it shifted the damned feeds to the next one up without realising that if I don't want a sports category, maybe I don't want any sports feeds. But its not a bad idea.
e) a set of links to good sources of feeds would be a nice touch
f) the ability to save/ export/ share a category or group of feeds might be useful as a marketing tool. By being able top post "My Favourite Feeds" to a feed for new users to add to their installation, it would be possible to give readers who don't post an ability to contribute/ raise profile/ participate etc

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:29 pm

rlmrdl wrote:The option is "Listen for" which doesn't mean anything to a non-techie. If it said "enable new feed add when you click this icon would help, it would also be good if you could get it to listen for anyone clicking on any rss feed.

Good point. Sometimes it's hard to think like a non-programmer :-) In your email to me you suggested detecting clicks on the plain old XML buttons: Image This is an excellent idea but unfortunately, there are technical reasons that would prevent this from working reliably. There is a thing called RSS auto-discovery that is becoming more popular and will be added to Awasu soon. It lets a web page advertise the fact that it has an RSS feed associated with it in such a way that RSS readers can detect it.

rlmrdl wrote:a) read the news (Actually a text only option would be good, as well as the full graphic browser)

I'm guessing you're talking about blog entries here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here.

rlmrdl wrote:b) post from the reader to my blog (I love the LJ application that resides on the desktop and lets me post, edit, re-order, delete etc without having to do it over the web) and which enabled either a fresh post or picked up the URL and any selected text from the post I was reading to use as the basis for a new post.

Something like this may be added in the future.

rlmrdl wrote:c) the ability to email a link from the reader via Eudora (looks like you have that)

The version I'm working on now has this feature already and will be available in the next beta (out in a week or two).

rlmrdl wrote:d) News Viewer had a preinstalled list of feeds placed in categories, which was potentially good value, although far to many and when I deleted a category I didn't want it shifted the damned feeds to the next one up without realising that if I don't want a sports category, maybe I don't want any sports feeds. But its not a bad idea.

Yes, the idea is good but the implementation is usually less so. One of the things we've focused on with Awasu is quality over quantity. I hate it when news readers automatically install tens or even hundreds (!) of feeds that I'm not interested in. The first thing I always do is delete them all and then go look for the ones I really want. Hence the page that you see when you first run Awasu. It shows you fifteen or so high-quality links that you can subscribe to if you want. You can always see this page again by opening the Help menu and choosing Welcome Page.

rlmrdl wrote:e) a set of links to good sources of feeds would be a nice touch

Also on the Welcome page are some links for this. The Radio Community Server link is a really good one: the 100 most popular feeds at Radio Userland. Syndic8 is the place if you want to search for feeds and there is an Awasu plugin that lets you search their database.

rlmrdl wrote:f) the ability to save/ export/ share a category or group of feeds might be useful as a marketing tool. By being able top post "My Favourite Feeds" to a feed for new users to add to their installation, it would be possible to give readers who don't post an ability to contribute/raise profile/participate etc

This is a great idea. Thanks for the feedback. My to-do list just keeps on getting longer and longer... :-(

rlmrdl

Postby rlmrdl » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:39 am

A Couple of clarifications.

>rlmrdl wrote:
>a) read the news (Actually a text only option would be good, as well as the full graphic browser)
>I'm guessing you're talking about blog entries here? I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here.

Correct. Rather than presenting the full web page, being able to download a text only version might help those who have limited bandwidth.

'Nother thought, I really like the plugins but, of course, they are way beyond this turkey to write. One way of getting sponsorship would be to sell a friendly company an advertsing link on all the plugins they sponsor you to write.

Small story. I work with a lot of people who are tryting to use material from all over the net to improve the quality of their work, several of them are heading towards either blogs, or websites with XML feeds as a way of delivering information. But being able to see what is there is only the first part.

It would be a very useful tool to be able to read an entry in a blog, then add it to a resource that did two things,
1) Add the information from the entry to a file that is itself a feed, readable by Awasu and by a browser.
2) Attached to the entry would be the option to add comments, notes etc related to the item. The benefit is that people preparing derivative works such as reports, theses, articles etc based on the material could use Awasu as the aggregator for highly customised information which can then be opened in a browser (using IE at this stage) copied and pasted into a WP document as the foundation for the work. Followed links from blogs that open other web pages could also become "aggregated resources" Maybe the free version only enables local use and two aggregations.
3) The full version would have unlimoited aggregations and might also be able to share that feed and associated comments with collaborators by uploading to a blog. Enable multiple posters and you have an almost realtime information management tool that could make a lotof people's lives easier. Just for the hell of it, throw in a merging facility so that if 2 users reference the same source, it appears as one link but their comments are retained and merged.

Programming Slavery also appears to be an option.
:roll:

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:57 am

rlmrdl wrote:Rather than presenting the full web page, being able to download a text only version might help those who have limited bandwidth.

It is not possible to provide this feature beyond what is available already i.e. each channel's summary page. RSS feed providers are supposed to provide a brief description of each item as part of the feed (unfortunately, not all do). This is the "low bandwidth" version. To provide a text-only version of a page, Awasu would have to download the page and strip out the text but of course, by this time, it's too late to be trying to save bandwidth!

rlmrdl wrote:<snip>Long feature request...</snip>

Programming Slavery also appears to be an option.

There goes my life for the next 12 months... :-(

dmakovec

Postby dmakovec » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:39 pm

support wrote:
Good point. Sometimes it's hard to think like a non-programmer :-) In your email to me you suggested detecting clicks on the plain old XML buttons: Image This is an excellent idea but unfortunately, there are technical reasons that would prevent this from working reliably. There is a thing called RSS auto-discovery that is becoming more popular and will be added to Awasu soon. It lets a web page advertise the fact that it has an RSS feed associated with it in such a way that RSS readers can detect it.

Any ideas on how far off autodiscovery is in Awasu? It's just about the only thing that I miss in the program (that and a popup killer)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:44 pm

dmakovec wrote:Any ideas on how far off autodiscovery is in Awasu? It's just about the only thing that I miss in the program (that and a popup killer)

He he. It's already done (and it's pretty slick too!): http://www.awasu.com/weblog/index.php?p=53

WRT popup killers, you might want to try replacing the embedded IE browser with Mozilla. Check the FAQ for details.

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”