graymate

Postby graymate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:12 pm

I really like your software, so i'd point out some little quirks about the user interface, as the features offered by this little jewel are totally satisfying me. UI is really important, the kind of thing that can decide a software's success or its oblivion. ;)

I'm using beta 1.21.

1) use the right-click menu as little as possible. As I already stated in another topic, let me double-click on items to open them in the default external browser, single-click for the embedded pane, and let me throw the tabs away with a middle-click (or even a double-click, for those with mutilated mices ;) ). A little ' x ' icon on every tab would also be fine (single-click closing). These should be easy.

2) the control center pane's tabs should NOT be fixed in bottom position, let me choose where they should go (top :D ) as you did with the others ;)

3) please, please, please do NOT use relative FONT SIZE settings. Use the usual font selectors, i want to manually specify the pixel size, i don' t know what is "small" :D

4) Let the UI follow the system color scheme (I have Olive/XP), and maybe remove all those font color FG/BG choosing. It's unnecessary and confusing ;) use system defaults.

That's all, for now. More to come, for sure :D

Thanks for the wonderful work :)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:22 pm

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks.

graymate wrote:i want to manually specify the pixel size, i don' t know what is "small" :D

You can. Just enter a number :-)

graymate

Postby graymate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:51 pm

support wrote:Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks.

Hey, thank YOU :D

support wrote:You can. Just enter a number :-)

Yep, i see. But this doesn' t match windows standard size... i mean, I use a "Tahoma 8" font on my system (e.g for desktop icons captions, etc.). If i use a value of "8" for the same font in AWASU i get an unreadable, micro-font :( Maybe you're using different metrics? (points vs. pixels? dunno what windows uses... :D)

Update: to get a windows "Tahoma 8" I have to enter "Tahoma 13" in AWASU ;)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:59 pm

graymate wrote:Yep, i see. But this doesn' t match windows standard size... i mean, I use a "Tahoma 8" font on my system (e.g for desktop icons captions, etc.). If i use a value of "8" for the same font in AWASU i get an unreadable, micro-font :( Maybe you're using different metrics? (points vs. pixels? dunno what windows uses... :D)

Hmmm... I think the code is wrong :oops:

It's on the list!

graymate

Postby graymate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:04 pm

Thanks again, i feel yours is not a simple task :D

BTW, I noticed the answer on the other thread. Ok, You can't let d-click open external... shift-click is fine, but not as immediate as it could be... what about OPTIONAL middle-click? Again, a-la Opera.

I think we all should learn a lot from that browser interface... Could be the best UI i've seen in a proggie ;)

I do not mean to stress you, I'm only trying to help. Let me know if i'm too picky ;)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:10 pm

graymate wrote:i feel yours is not a simple task :D

Indeed, it's not. Sigh... :-(

graymate wrote:BTW, I noticed the answer on the other thread. Ok, You can't let d-click open external... shift-click is fine, but not as immediate as it could be... what about OPTIONAL middle-click? Again, a-la Opera.

Um, yes. It would probably be best to make the action configurable. Spot the guy who only has a two-button mouse :-) Actually, I have a Logitech wireless mouse which has a third thumb-operated button but I use that for BACK.

graymate wrote:I do not mean to stress you, I'm only trying to help. Let me know if i'm too picky ;)

No problem. Feedback is always good. It all goes on the list :whip:

graymate

Postby graymate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:55 pm

Again, UI suggestion:

It would be nice if each items pane had an "artificial" entry, kept on top of the other news, called "Channel Summary" (or something like that) which shows.. guess what? ;) when clicked, in addition to having to press F9 or a toolbar icon...

:D i'm sure you're hating me by now, but I've just passed a hard university exam, my girlfriend is not around, weather is bad and your proggie is lovely... 8)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:03 pm

graymate wrote:It would be nice if each items pane had an "artificial" entry, kept on top of the other news, called "Channel Summary" (or something like that) which shows.. guess what? ;) when clicked, in addition to having to press F9 or a toolbar icon...

But what advantage would that give? Mouse users can click on the toolbar button and keyboard users can just press F9. OK, so the toolbar button is a small target but I think that having a psuedo-entry in the item pane would be a bit weird. What about a mouse gesture? I like using this: http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

I actually use both - it's no accident that the most commonly used menu accelerators can be done solely with the left hand :-)

graymate wrote::D i'm sure you're hating me by now, but I've just passed a hard university exam, my girlfriend is not around, weather is bad and your proggie is lovely... 8)

Not at all. I was just thinking this afternoon that the forums had been a bit quiet recently :roll:

What are you studying?

graymate

Postby graymate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:19 pm

Jeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A system-winde mouse gesture tool!!!!!

Many, many, many thanks. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Ok, I'll cool down :D

The advantage would be, imho, more clarity... but, again, this is just an opinion. And I HATE toolbars, and love text.

An idea: the item pane has way much horizontal space. What about optionally splitting it in two columns:
- the leftmost shows the items as usual
-the rightmost (smaller) shows "common tasks": show summary, mark all read, etc.

Btw, I study Computer Engineering and I'm keen of User Interfaces and accessibility (hey, I love your templates, almost xhtml and very clean ;) )

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:26 pm

graymate wrote:An idea: the item pane has way much horizontal space. What about optionally splitting it in two columns:
- the leftmost shows the items as usual
-the rightmost (smaller) shows "common tasks": show summary, mark all read, etc.

That is such an *excellent* idea!

Now I just have to find the time to do it :roll:

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”