diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:20 am

I organised all my channels and folders at home and synced it with my FTP server. On my work I then loaded the sync. data but my folders got messed up. Please see the pictures below where you can see that several channels shifted from folders to the root:

HOME

WORK

BTW, should all program options sync.? Because I set the toolbar up in a certain way at home but on my work it was original again.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:20 pm

diabloNL wrote:I organised all my channels and folders at home and synced it with my FTP server. On my work I then loaded the sync. data but my folders got messed up.

Was this a new installation at work? There is a known issue where folders don't get sync'ed properly if you're importing the sync data into a clean copy of Awasu. The workaround is to just redo the sync.

diabloNL wrote:BTW, should all program options sync.? Because I set the toolbar up in a certain way at home but on my work it was original again.

UI settings like this are not included in the sync data. They are handled by the third-party GUI and while we looked into sync'ing them, since they're something that tends not to change very often, it's been pushed down The List somewhat :-)

diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:57 pm

I already sync'ed like four times before. I created the folders this weekend and sync'ed this morning arriving on the job.

So the copy on the work has already been sync'ed before without problems.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on it! :wink:

About the UI settings, no problem I was just wondering. :P

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:02 pm

diabloNL wrote:I created the folders this weekend and sync'ed this morning arriving on the job.

So if this is the first time you've done a sync with the folders, I think that will cause the behaviour you reported. Just do the sync again and the folders will be moved to the correct locations.

diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:28 pm

support wrote:So if this is the first time you've done a sync with the folders, I think that will cause the behaviour you reported. Just do the sync again and the folders will be moved to the correct locations.

Ok, I understand! I will try that the next time I have this issue. Thanks!
:wink:

diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:22 am

I have now 2.3.rc2 and I changed a lot at home. When I sync'ed this morning on my work I got a lot of errors. Many channels that I created at home were not there and also the folders.

Before the sync I also added the config files for webscraper that were added or changed at home. The same for the plug-ins.

I sync'ed multiple time but no joy. :(

I solved it in this way and was curious if I'm doing it correctly:

-Closed Awasu
-Deleted everything in User/Name folder
-Copied all data from the User/Name folder from home into the User/Name folder at work
-Started Awasu
-Had to type my license key
-Sync'ed

That's how I did it and now no errors and all looks the same as Awasu at home. Did I get it all with this?

Thanks (again)

:P

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:22 am

diabloNL wrote:-Closed Awasu
-Copied all data from the User/Name folder from home into the User/Name folder at work

This is definitely not the recommended way of doing a sync but yes, it will work :-)

Have you configured sync to show a report when it's done? This will tell you if anything went wrong during the sync process.

Also, how are telling that some channels were missing? It's possible a channel filter was active that was hiding some of your channels from view :?:

diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:10 am

support wrote:
diabloNL wrote:-Closed Awasu

This is definitely not the recommended way of doing a sync but yes, it will work :-)

Have you configured sync to show a report when it's done? This will tell you if anything went wrong during the sync process.

Also, how are telling that some channels were missing? It's possible a channel filter was active that was hiding some of your channels from view :?:

I like it the hard way. :lol:

No, I don't have a channel filter set. This is the error I got:

Code: Select all

07:11:43 | Sync load warning: Can't match this channel (local): {:install-dir:}/channelplugins/webscraper/webscrape.exe
07:11:43 | Sync load warning: Can't match this channel (local): {:install-dir:}/channelplugins/webscraper/webscrape.exe
07:11:43 | Sync load warning: Can't match this channel (remote): {:install-dir:}/channelplugins/webscraper/webscrape.exe
07:11:43 | Sync load warning: Can't match this channel (remote): {:install-dir:}/channelplugins/webscraper/webscrape.exe

This is the activity log:

Code: Select all

07mrt07 07:11:12 Channel updates have been suspended.
07mrt07 07:11:12 Awasu started OK: 13 channels loaded.
07mrt07 07:11:16 Loading sync data from ftp://ftpblah blah blah
07mrt07 07:11:41 Synchronized Gamespot PSP News OK.
07mrt07 07:11:42 Synchronized GameTrailers  Movies OK.
07mrt07 07:11:42 Synchronized Gamespot  Movies OK.
07mrt07 07:11:42 Synchronized 1UP PSP News OK.
07mrt07 07:11:42 Synchronized PSP Only News OK.
07mrt07 07:11:43 Synchronized Awasu OK.
07mrt07 07:11:43 Synchronized 1UP PSP Reviews OK.
07mrt07 07:11:43 Synchronized IGN PSP News OK.
07mrt07 07:11:44 Channel updates have been resumed.

Why there are only 8 channels in the activity log sync'ed if he stated that 13 channels are loaded? Oh, wait, it appears that the log doesn't show the channels that are created by Webscraper. The rest including the channel from a plug-in, does show in the log.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:11 am

diabloNL wrote:Sync load warning: Can't match this channel

This is a known issue, not really a bug but a problem inherent in synchronization. It's described here in the <i>The first time you load a sync data file</i> section.

Actually, it's not just the first time you do a sync, it happens when Awasu is sync'ing any channel for the first time. The problem happens because the only way Awasu can figure out which channel on one machine corresponds to which channel on the other machine is by comparing the feed URL's. In your case, you've got a bunch of WebScrape channels on your work machine (which all have the same feed "URL", the path to the plugin EXE), a bunch of WebScrape channels on your home machine (which also all have the same feed "URL") and Awasu is unable to figure out how to match them up.

The solution is to delete the problem channels before sync'ing in. Awasu will recreate the channels <u>and assigns them a unique ID</u> (look for <tt>ChannelGuid</tt> in the .CHANNEL files). This ID is then used for channel matching so after this initial sync, it doesn't matter if you have multiple WebScrape channels.

I wasn't kidding when I said that synchronization is hard :wall:

diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:19 am

Thanks Taka. Should I still do that or was the copy/past that I did enough? Because it seems it's working fine now.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:32 am

diabloNL wrote:Because it seems it's working fine now.

If it's working, why fiddle with it? :roll: :-)

What you did will work so there shouldn't be <strike>any</strike> many problems in the future because of it... :wink:

diabloNL

Postby diabloNL » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am

support wrote:
diabloNL wrote:Because it seems it's working fine now.

If it's working, why fiddle with it? :roll: :-)

What you did will work so there shouldn't be <strike>any</strike> many problems in the future because of it... :wink:

Well, I did it anyway. :P I deleted all the channels on my work. Restarted Awasu and sync'ed.

Then I sync'ed again to get all channels organised in their original folders again.

All is fine! The only thing was that one channel showed all "unread" while it should be "read" as in the sync file, but hey, who cares! :P

I only had problems with deleting some channels. He deletes them but keeps showing them in the list. Is this a known thing or is it Bill's fault. :lol:

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”