charliehall

Postby charliehall » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 pm

I am using version 2.2.5

When I click on a feed item to read it, on many of my channels, the whole window starts flashing continually several times a second. Very annoying - makes if difficult to read the item

Is there a setting to solve this problem?

Thanks
--Charlie

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:00 am

charliehall wrote:When I click on a feed item to read it, on many of my channels, the whole window starts flashing continually several times a second

So you're trying to open the feed's website to read the feed item there, rather than in Awasu's channel summary page? Does the flashing eventually stop?

I don't think it's Awasu doing this. There is one situation where the page can flicker a little after the channel summary page has finished loading and you have the channel configured to download feed items for offline reading (Pro Edition only). But it only flickers once and then stops.

If you post some of the offending feed item URL's, I'll take a look at it.

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:02 pm

Yes, it flashes when I am reading the website not the feed summary. And no, the flashing does not stop

Here are some examples:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/03/09/ri ... _huma.html

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/ericsson.asp

http://proofficedev.com/blog/2007/02/26 ... ys-in-vba/

Thanks
--Charlie

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:29 pm

charliehall wrote:Yes, it flashes when I am reading the website not the feed summary. And no, the flashing does not stop

I'm baffled as to what this could be. Has it only just recently started happening? What version of Windows are you using? What happens if you open the feed item in another Awasu tab?

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:42 pm

I think it started happening when I upgraded to the Beta versions (a couple of weeks ago) - not sure if the two are related

And yes, if I copy the url to another Awasu tab the flashing happens there as well

I am using Windows XP SP 2 Build 2600

I have Tablet edition which on one occasion caused a problem that was unique to the tablet version, but everything else seems the same

I also use IE inside Awasu, but Firefox outside - I had problems using Firefox inside Awasu

Thanks

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 pm

charliehall wrote:I think it started happening when I upgraded to the Beta versions (a couple of weeks ago) - not sure if the two are related

You could try upgrading to the latest release (2.3.rc2). You're going to have to do it anyway so might as well do it now :-)

Can you describe the flashing. Is it the titlebar flashing, is the browser pane itself flickering or going blank and then coming back, or something else? Is it the entire Awasu window or just one part of it?

For the life of me, I can't think what this could be. Any chance of a video of it happening? :-)

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:44 pm

charliehall wrote: also use IE inside Awasu, but Firefox outside - I had problems using Firefox inside Awasu

Actually, if you've still got the Mozilla browser component installed, you could try temporarily switching back to using Mozilla as the embedded browser and seeing if that makes a difference.

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:31 pm

The title bar is not flashing - but the bar below the toolbars has a RSS symbol on the right side and it is flashing. Everything below this bar is shifting up one pixel and then shifting back down - for each flash
And only the content in the web window is actually flashing, everything else is just moving a bit
It appears that the browser plane is going blank and then coming back on
I have a video of it - how do I send it to you - it is 4M
Thanks for your persistence - I will await your instructions before loading the next version and moving to Firefox
--Charlie

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 am

charliehall wrote:The title bar is not flashing - but the bar below the toolbars has a RSS symbol on the right side and it is flashing.

AHA! Now we're getting somewhere :-)

The flashing RSS symbol means that Awasu has found some feeds embedded in the web page. You can turn this off or move it to the status bar by opening the Program Options and going to the Advanced Page. Find the checkbox that says <i>Enable auto-discovery</i> and either untick it or click on the button to the right of it and configure it to show the flashing icon in the statusbar.

Do you have a web/FTP site you can put the video on? If not, and you know how to use FTP, I can give you access to our FTP server. Otherwise you can just email it to support@awasu.com.

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 am

I know how to use FTP - please provide your site info

I moved the auto-discovery to the statusbar and the flashing stopped :D

I now do not see the symbol though on the statusbar

--Charlie

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:28 am

charliehall wrote:I know how to use FTP - please provide your site info

I've sent you a PM.

charliehall wrote:I now do not see the symbol though on the statusbar

You will only see it if you open a web page that is advertising the presence of feeds that you are not already subscribed to.

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:36 pm

File has been posted on your FTP site

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:48 pm

charliehall wrote:File has been posted on your FTP site

Thanks for that. The camera bouncing around makes it a bit hard to see the effect but I think I can see what's happening :-)

I've tried setting up my Awasu the same as yours but can't get the problem to happen. I notice your Awasu window seems to maximized. Does making it non-maximized make a difference?

One thing that occurred to me was that there might be something in the web page itself that is causing itself to redraw significantly when the window size has its size changed minutely. Well, I don't really think this is what's happening but I'm kinda clutching at straws here... :computer:

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:33 am

Changing the maximise does not affect the flashing.

Also everything below the caption bar flashes (all three panes) - except for the workpad line at the bottom - however, when I hover over the workpad, it pops up and then immediately drops down - during the flash - if that helps

charliehall

Postby charliehall » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:16 pm

More info

I tried it with the Firefox viewer - and had no problems with flashing - however, the RSS symbol in the right side of the caption bar did not display either.

I upgraded to the latest alpha release that you recommended and it did not change anything - the problem still happens in IE, but not in FF

On a related note, the reason I switched from FF to IE was one site http://veryfunnyads.com/ kept complaining that I did not have the latest flash upgrade even though I installed it many times - if you knew how to fix this, I would go back to FF

Thanks

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”