mike

Postby mike » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:24 am

Awasu installed OK on my second Windows XP box this morning. BUT these problems are occurring
and stopping me from using Awasu:

1. The second box freezes at "synchronizing program options" when Awasu loads sync data from either FTP or file.

2. When the program is forcibly shut down from the Task Manager, the registration code must be re-entered again to use it.

And, although I originally thought the next problem was my ISP's, Awasu's problems are making me suspicious...

3. Both the first and second computers' Awasu installations tell me my FTP password is wrong
60% of the time, and they also log in with the same password 40% of the time.

Please advise right away, thanks.

mike

Postby mike » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:25 am

Update:

I remembered it's Saturday in your neck 'o the woods so I don't expect a response this weekend.

At lunch-time, I launched Awasu without any other apps open. Let it run. Came back two hours
later and it was up, running and synced. Restarted it twice, it synced automatically twice of four times sync was started.

On the times the sync failed, the error message said the password was wrong.

Please advise.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:36 am

mike wrote:I remembered it's Saturday in your neck 'o the woods so I don't expect a response this weekend.

Meh, this is a 24x7 job for me :whip: :-D

This is really bizarre. It doesn't smell like something Awasu is doing. I take it you're running Awasu from the same Windows account every time? Do you have anything running that might be affecting the connection between Awasu and your FTP server e.g. a proxy, firewall, ad blocker, etc.?

The first thing to do is check exactly what version of Awasu you are running. Find the <tt>build.info</tt> file in your Awasu installation directory (e.g. <tt>C:\Program Files\Awasu</tt>) and email/PM me a copy of it, or just post it here.

Do you have access to another FTP server? If not, I can let you use ours for a while to see if the problem is at the other end.

Awasu stores passwords in your <tt>config.ini</tt> file so there may be some problem with this file. Before you do a sync, take a copy of this file and after you've done this a few times, email them to me with a note saying which ones worked and which ones didn't.

Finally, it sounds like you've got Awasu configured to sync automatically when it starts up. Do you have the same problem if you turn this off and do the sync manually?

TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:08 pm

support wrote:
mike wrote:I remembered it's Saturday in your neck 'o the woods so I don't expect a response this weekend.

Meh, this is a 24x7 job for me :whip: :-D

This is really bizarre. It doesn't smell like something Awasu is doing. I take it you're running Awasu from the same Windows account every time? Do you have anything running that might be affecting the connection between Awasu and your FTP server e.g. a proxy, firewall, ad blocker, etc.?

Symantec Client Security on the box that was having the Slows. That's the only issue left. Syncing the file once it was connected took forever. Even on a box that was slow, but it's healthy.

The first thing to do is check exactly what version of Awasu you are running. Find the <tt>build.info</tt> file in your Awasu installation directory (e.g. <tt>C:\Program Files\Awasu</tt>) and email/PM me a copy of it, or just post it here.

Here 'tis:

[BuildInfo]
Version=2.2
IsTrialVersion=0
MSLU=0
HttpUserAgent=Awasu/2.2PRO
BuildDateTime=Dec 31 2005 07:02:28
BuildOptions=PRO_EDITION ; _LOG ; MAX_CHANNEL_FILTERS 20 ; MAX_CHANNEL_REPORTS 20 ; MAX_CHANNEL_FAVORITES 20 ; MAX_USER_TOOLS 20 ; MAX_WORKPADS 20 ; ENABLE_MIN_AUTO_UPDATE_INTERVAL ; ENABLE_BASIC_AUTH_FEEDS ; ENABLE_SSL_FEEDS ; MAX_CHANNEL_UPDATE_AGENTS 8 ; ENABLE_FTP_SYNC_DATA_FILES ; ENABLE_SYNC_EXTERNAL_COMMANDS ; ENABLE_REPORT_FTP ; ENABLE_PER_CHANNEL_AUTO_DOWNLOAD_SETTINGS ; ENABLE_EXPIRING_CHANNELS ; ENABLE_SEARCH_CHANNELS ; ENABLE_SIDEBAR_WINDOW ; ENABLE_DOWNLOADED_FILES_CONTROLBAR ; ENABLE_AUTO_GENERATE_REPORTS

Do you have access to another FTP server? If not, I can let you use ours for a while to see if the problem is at the other end.

Working on that now. The ISP I was using, 1&1, gave me conflicting answers to my questions about prospective FTP problems, then finally came clean this morning that they're having problems. That's half the problem solved.

Awasu stores passwords in your <tt>config.ini</tt> file so there may be some problem with this file. Before you do a sync, take a copy of this file and after you've done this a few times, email them to me with a note saying which ones worked and which ones didn't.

Finally, it sounds like you've got Awasu configured to sync automatically when it starts up. Do you have the same problem if you turn this off and do the sync manually?

TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:45 pm

support wrote:...Do you have access to another FTP server? If not, I can let you use ours for a while to see if the problem is at the other end.

I've got another FTP site at EarthLink. I can easily connect to it with Ipswitch WS_FTP Pro. But Awasu asks for a URL when WS_FTP Pro doesn't.

The FTP server is ftp-www.earthlink.net, and the address of the site is http://home.earthlink.net/~radixman/ (If it blows your skirt up, you can see the front plate of my Aussie-made Pontiac GTO).

BUT, if I use that URL Awasu can't connect, saying, "Can't open the remote file."

Ideas?

TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Inside WS_FTP Pro, EarthLink's file structure shows a folder, "/webdocs" - I've tried variations of the path, http://home.earthlink.net/~radixman/webdocs/rss and still can't get Awasu to connect.

TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:58 pm

Support wrote: "This is really bizarre. It doesn't smell like something Awasu is doing. I take it you're running Awasu from the same Windows account every time? Do you have anything running that might be affecting the connection between Awasu and your FTP server e.g. a proxy, firewall, ad blocker, etc.?"

Symantec Client Security on the box that was having the Slows. That's the only issue left. Syncing the file once it was connected took forever. Even on a box that was slow, but it's healthy.

The FTP problems are solved. Since I haven't heard back from you about firewall or other issues which affect Awasu's startup, I'll conclude that Awasu, PatchLink client, ACT! 2005 and Symantec Client Security (SCS) don't play well together at startup. PatchLink and ACT! use a resource-intensive version of SQL. It's most likely a given that SCS will slow things down. When those are coupled with an older, Pentium box, Awasu is the final weight that causes a tipping point in system resources to make it freeze for a while.

BUT, I'll still keep using the Awasu client. My home-office machine is less than a year old with lots of RAM and resources. The problematic box will be replaced in a few months with something with more horsepower and torque. Thank you for the assistance.

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”