View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Site Admin

I tried it with the Firefox viewer - and had no problems with flashing - however, the RSS symbol in the right side of the caption bar did not display either.

This is a known issue. The Mozilla browser component doesn't work in exactly the same way as the IE one (technical description: IIRC, it presents a slightly different DOM which breaks Awasu's auto-discovery feature).

charliehall wrote:
On a related note, the reason I switched from FF to IE was one site http://veryfunnyads.com/ kept complaining that I did not have the latest flash upgrade even though I installed it many times - if you knew how to fix this, I would go back to FF

This is probably because of the difference between a browser component and an actual browser. A browser component just draws a web page but a full-blown browser adds a whole load of features on top of it e.g. tabs, plugins, phishing checks, etc. Awasu only uses the Mozilla or IE browser component and so doesn't get all the extra features that the full-blown Mozilla or IE browsers offer.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:41 pm
Profile WWW

This is probably because of the difference between a browser component and an actual browser. A browser component just draws a web page but a full-blown browser adds a whole load of features on top of it e.g. tabs, plugins, phishing checks, etc. Awasu only uses the Mozilla or IE browser component and so doesn't get all the extra features that the full-blown Mozilla or IE browsers offer.

However, IE works on this website - I guess the problem is with Mozilla and not Awasu - thanks

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:50 pm
Site Admin

I guess the problem is with Mozilla and not Awasu

Works for me :whistle:

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

Post Me, Too.
With an upgrade from Awasu Pro 2.2 to Pro 2.3.rc4 I saw the exact same behavior where the bottom 15/16 of Awasu would blink and shift up and back, twice, in about 1 1/2 second cycles. IE 6.x with current patches on a PC about one-year old.

After reading this thread, I optioned Awasu to show auto-discovery in the status bar instead of the default caption bar as suggested.

That stopped the flashing behaviour.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:49 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Me, Too.
TrackSnakeLA wrote:
IE 6.x with current patches on a PC about one-year old.

Thanks for letting us know. What version of Windows are you using? I've been unable to get this to happen :-(

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:36 pm
Profile WWW

Windows Media Center 2005 on an HP Pavilion m7360n. Nothing weird loaded and I've begun using a registry cleaner which helps. Without unloading too many drivers, the box idles at around 304 MB memory in use, which is, as far as I'm concerned, way too much overhead, even for a box with 2 GB RAM

Was using Zone Labs Internet Security 7.x until yesterday, but it's not a reliable or easy program. Today switched to Norton Internet Security 2007. Your new Awasu build posted this week doesn't like it. The Awasu browser window pages don't load, but if I disable the firewall Awasu works fine. Norton's always been a program with lots of overhead, so I expect stuff like that which needs de-bugging.

Contacted Symantec to have them solve it.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:31 am
Site Admin

Windows Media Center 2005 on an HP Pavilion m7360n.

Bugger. The other guy was running a Tablet edition and you're on Media Center, neither of which I've got which probably explains why I wasn't able to duplicate it :roll:

I'll try rustle up a copy and see what happens. It's almost certainly being caused by something in these versions of Windows that the third-party GUI toolkit we use doesn't like.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:47 am
Profile WWW

This morning when I upgraded my other Awasu installation on a different box loaded with Windows XP Pro, this same issue did not arise. That would give even more evidence it could be related to Media Center 05 edition.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 pm

Post To Clear the Record
TrackSnakeLA wrote:
....Today switched to Norton Internet Security 2007. Your new Awasu build posted this week doesn't like it. The Awasu browser window pages don't load, but if I disable the firewall Awasu works fine. Norton's always been a program with lots of overhead, so I expect stuff like that which needs de-bugging.

Contacted Symantec to have them solve it.

Problem solved. Here's what I wrote to Symantec:

The problems in this case have somewhat mysteriously resolved themselves. Although I had already tested NIS 2007 the way suggested by Symantec before I contacted you, and Awasu Pro wasn't interacting well with NIS, the problems no longer exist. Web and RSS pages now load in a reasonable time in Awasu Pro.

Being an experienced tech, I'd suspect there are four possibly interrelated reasons for this:

1. The toggle buttons disabling and re-enabling NIS were tested before I contacted you, and that may have affected the way NIS learned Awasu Pro.

2. Although the installation is on Windows Media Center 2005, I restarted the system more than once and suspect that helped NIS interact better with Awasu Pro and

3. NIS 2007 now probably depends on learning algorithms which became more "understanding" of Awasu Pro's role and behaviour

4. Awasu Pro had been upgraded the day after a fresh NIS installation

Symantec can close this case.

So, Taka, is there a Japanese word or concept which would describe devotion to detail and duty rolled into one idea? Looks to me like you've got that spirit. You've gotta be a fascinating guy and it makes wanna offer you a pint when I drop into Oz.

This comes from an ex- front-man/singer. I also run a small Windows network or two. I don't bestow compliments quickly, I've found no bugs in this RC and I'm very happy to be using Awasu Pro. In all my posts, did you ever have a suspicion you'd be reading that? I looked around a bunch, and found out what you already know - there are no RRS readers as granular, pretty, customizable and well-supported as Awasu. I'll pay $60 anytime for a good product.

- Mike

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:06 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: To Clear the Record
Thanks for the update.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:
So, Taka, is there a Japanese word or concept which would describe devotion to detail and duty rolled into one idea?

Um, you're asking the wrong guy. I don't speak Japanese :oops:

It might just be genetic :roll:

TrackSnakeLA wrote:
it makes wanna offer you a pint when I drop into Oz.

I'm definitely up for that :whistle:

TrackSnakeLA wrote:
I don't bestow compliments quickly, I've found no bugs in this RC and I'm very happy to be using Awasu Pro. In all my posts, did you ever have a suspicion you'd be reading that? I looked around a bunch, and found out what you already know - there are no RRS readers as granular, pretty, customizable and well-supported as Awasu. I'll pay $60 anytime for a good product.

Aw, shucks :oops: Thanks for the kind words.

Hey, you made the front page (at the bottom) :wink:

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2