jrmarino

Postby jrmarino » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:21 pm

I think Awasu is top notch and am aways recommending it to others when the topic of RSS readers comes up.

I've only got one negative thing to say about it and it drives me nuts. Awasu is unaware (seemingly) when the internet is present or not.

With my laptop, the internet is frequently not available. Either the laptop is active but there is no wifi / hard wire connection, or the laptop is "hibernating" in which state the internet connect is off.

So say I fold up the laptop and it goes into hibernation. When I open up the laptop the next morning, awasu immediately pops up balloon after balloon (I have to click through each one) saying how the feed is not available. Sometime in the middle of the night, it tried to connect during hibernation, and issued a balloon which I don't see until the next day.

Even worse, all my channels are then marked in the color red showing an error. I have to manually "update channel" for each channel or try the "update all channels" option. Either one takes several minutes to get the channels working again.

I implore you, please have Awasu become smart enough to know when the internet is NOT available and NOT check any channel or issue commands.

In it's current state, Awasu is great for desktops and just painful on my Thinkpad. If there is some setting that would fix this, please let me know. I would recommend that this setting be default.

Hopefully you know which behaviour I'm talking about and can imagine what Awasu is like with inconsistent internet connections. I was motivated to post after seeing the 2.3.1 beta announcement on the blog.

Thanks for listening. I didn't know if this was a bug report (Given that I think it's undesirable behaviour you could call it a bug), a feature request, or what. So I put the request here.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:45 am

jrmarino wrote:Awasu is unaware (seemingly) when the internet is present or not.

Have you got <i>Auto-detect an Internet connection</i> turned on (in the Advanced tab of the Program Options)? It's not enabled by default since this is one of those things that Windows doesn't make easy to do and it's not 100% reliable but it should do the trick.

You might also want to check out the <i>Delay before updating channels</i> settings as well, if you want Awasu to wait a while after startup or system resume before starting to update channels (e.g. because it takes a while to get an IP address assigned).

jrmarino

Postby jrmarino » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:47 am

Thanks - the auto-detect works most of the time like you said and it's definitely better enabled than not used at all.

I know you say detecting an internet connection is a tricky thing, I have a suggestion for a simple solution. Just put a very small file on your server and have awasu try to retrieve. If it can, the connection is valid and if not, it's not. If you are using windows/internet explorer libraries then you would have issues with caching but you understand my point I think. It might be a iron-clad method to try when awasu can't say for sure if the PC is connected to the internet or simply a lan.

Thanks for the mention in the blog!
John

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:04 am

jrmarino wrote:Just put a very small file on your server and have awasu try to retrieve. If it can, the connection is valid and if not, it's not.

Yah, this is the obvious solution but it also has problems. For example, what if awasu.com goes down (or God forbid, we go out of business :blink:). Everyone's Awasu suddenly thinks it's offline. Or if someone wants to use it purely in an internal corporate network with no outside Internet access? So, we can't use this technique as a definitive check for connectivity and it just becomes another thing (to add to the already-complicated process) that only sometimes works :-(

jrmarino

Postby jrmarino » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:37 pm

well, if you don't trust your server's uptime, you could pull google's primary search page or any other well known page with multiple mirrors guaranteed to come up.

The corporate scenario, while possible, is improbable. More over, if that was the case, the IT department would have a pretty good handle on software management, awasu would be under configuration control, and the IT guy would set up the defaults as they should be. Perfect world scenario, but I definitely see the IT guy as the fall guy for an intranet only setup.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”