keith_alabaster

Postby keith_alabaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am

Out of interest, I have not managed to locate any System Requirements information. Are there any particular minimum requirements etc needed for Awasu?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 am

keith_alabaster wrote:Are there any particular minimum requirements etc needed for Awasu?

Windows NT 4 or later and IE5.

Older versions of Awasu run on Windows 98/Me but we had to drop these due to their lack of support for Unicode.

keith_alabaster

Postby keith_alabaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:41 am

Hmmm - so we meet the requirements. I have tried on a couple of other machines and have found one that it works continually on although I can see no differences.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:56 am

keith_alabaster wrote:\I have tried on a couple of other machines and have found one that it works continually on although I can see no differences.

On the PC's that you are having problems with, have you managed to get *any* feeds working at all?

What happens if you do a "File|Open web page"? This will check if Awasu is being blocked by something on those machines.

keith_alabaster

Postby keith_alabaster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Yes, two, maybe three feeds add OK (one instant only allowed one feed) before the freeze up occurs. I would note that it is the application that appears to freeze, the computer still runs other applications OK so I can alt-tab around and use these without problem.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:19 pm

keith_alabaster wrote:I would note that it is the application that appears to freeze

Just to confirm, it only freezes when you try to create a new channel using the wizard?

As I mentioned before, this is a known issue. If the UI is freezing, it's because Awasu is trying to download the feed and for some reason, it's taking a long time.

It's possible to bypass the wizard and manually "create" a new channel if you don't mind hacking a bit:

(*) Exit Awasu.
(*) Locate your <tt>Channels</tt> sub-directory and create a file called <tt>foo.channel</tt> that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Config]
RssChannelUrl=... (put the feed URL here)

The name of the file doesn't matter, it just has to have a </tt>.CHANNEL</tt> extension.

(*) Then restart Awasu and see what happens with the channel.

keith_alabaster

Postby keith_alabaster » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:19 am

Yes, just the application freezes and only when the wizard has been run. I noted your point regarding the Channels directory but I still cannot find this location in the program files directory structure.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:11 am

keith_alabaster wrote:I noted your point regarding the Channels directory but I still cannot find this location in the program files directory structure.

The Channels directory only lives under Program Files if you started using Awasu from an earlier version. We switched to saving everything in the standard place where Windows wants applications to put stuff. Check the page I linked to for info on where to find it (and make sure you read the footnotes).

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”