TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:13 pm

In a previous topic, when Awasu froze I ascribed it to a computer that had reached it's "tipping point," with too many resources making the computer fall over.

I didn't hear back from Awasu in response to my final posts in that thread, which could have been answered. This was at http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5923#5923

As of this morning, Awasu Pro freezes on the other, robust PC in good health. Awasu freezes while it's loading sync data, just as it did on the less-muscular Windows XP PC. The program has to be cancelled while other, running programs are still working on the same PC. This means that the issue is inside Awasu.

At this moment I'm willing to wait for the new release, expecting the problem will be solved in less than a month. That assumes I can make the program actually work because I'm experienced with computers.

I'm doing this because Awasu's support was well-intentioned and I'd rather pay you more than market rates for software which doesn't, apparently, come from a large company. But, please bear in mind that I need a usable product, without issues, in the short-term future.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:08 am

TrackSnakeLA wrote:In a previous topic, when Awasu froze I ascribed it to a computer that had reached it's "tipping point," with too many resources making the computer fall over.

Are you saying the computer is crashing?

TrackSnakeLA wrote:I didn't hear back from Awasu in response to my final posts in that thread, which could have been answered. This was at http://www.awasu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5923#5923

I suggested that you might have Awasu configured to sync automatically at startup and that you try turning this off and doing it manually. Did you do this?

TrackSnakeLA wrote:Awasu freezes while it's loading sync data

When does it freeze? Do you see anything at all in the progress window? How does it freeze? Does the Awasu window white-out? Does the whole computer lock up? Is it using CPU or accessing the disk?

Sync'ing from FTP is a two-step process, downloading the file from the server and then sync'ing to that file. You can break it into these two steps by downloading the file manually to a local file on your PC and then sync'ing to that file. This will help determine where exactly the hang is occurring. Given the problems you've already had with your FTP server, it may well be something in the download phase.

You can also create a DEBUG.INI file in your user's home directory that looks like this:

Code: Select all

[MessageLog]
SyncSave=1
SyncLoad=1

Awasu will log everything it does to your user's <tt>Awasu.log</tt> file. You can do a <tt>tail -f</tt> on this file to watch what's happening when you do a sync. Note that this will slow things down somewhat and generate a lot of output so don't forget to delete this DEBUG.INI file when you're done.

The sync code hasn't been changed for ages and is being used by a lot of people without problem so it's unlikely to be an issue with the code itself, more likely a conflict with something else on your system. Virus checkers are often problematic since they're always interfering with file access so if you're running one, try turning it off.

TrackSnakeLA

Postby TrackSnakeLA » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:30 am

Awasu freezes one machine with when Symantec Enterprise AV version 10.1.5.5000 client is active. Awasu then siphons 97% or 98% of CPU time during download synchronization, locking up at "Synchronizing program data." This machine is a managed client from Symantec System Center Console. I haven't waited over about five minutes to see when it would unlock. But I know it would unlock after an hour or two of walking away and doing something else, which I did one day.

When the machine freezes, I kill Awasu from the Task Manager and the computer immediately returns to normal. When re-staring Awasu, I often have to again re-enter the registration code.

Awasu also freezes when Symantec Enterprise AV client is disabled AND Symantec Client Firewall version 8.7.4.97 is active. BUT after a few minutes of sucking 48% to 98% of CPU time, it unlocks and slowly finishes the download sync.

Those things being said, Awasu Pro is the first program I can remember which I can't get to play nice with Symantec AV and Client Firewall. And on this particular machine are loaded many types of software which could have been problematic: PatchLink Agent, ACT! 2005 (a REAL lousy program running SQL), Retrospect 7.5, FileMaker Pro, RegSupreme Pro, Yahoo Widgets, Blaze Media Pro, Eudora Pro 7.x, Adobe Acrobat (usually a spotty performer in my experience), PowerToys for Windows XP, AM-Deadlink and WS_FTP Pro Explorer. All of these programs play nice with Symantec.

Would there be some settings changes to Symantec's programs which might help Awasu? Although the Symantec client settings must be locked against user tampering, there are fairly granular, flexible controls of client installations in Symantec's System Control Center that can be pushed to the clients.

Also, the Awasu.log file seems to be empty when I open it in Notepad, so what am I missing that I could send you?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 am

TrackSnakeLA wrote:When re-staring Awasu, I often have to again re-enter the registration code.

The license key is stored in your CONFIG.INI file which is just a bog-standard INI file. If you have to re-enter it, this means it's either gone or has been corrupted. Awasu does write out to this file during a sync load so if you're killing it in Task Manager, it may well have only partially written out the file. The bit with the license code will have not been written out, hence the next time you start Awasu, it asks you to re-enter.

This leads me to strongly suspect that your AV is causing the problem. The way Awasu writes out the INI file is not particularly efficient (this will be addressed post-2.3) although it's generally not a problem under normal circumstances. However, I wouldn't be surprised if your AV is intercepting and checking every single write to the INI file (IIRC, this has come up before) which is causing the slowdown. This ties in with your report that sync eventually completes if the AV is turned off.

Sync load is a very resource-intensive process and while it's been made more efficient in 2.3, you can certainly expect to see heavy CPU usage, especially when it's sync'ing the Program Options (less so when it's doing each channel). However, it's all done in low-priority background threads so your PC should still be usable.

TrackSnakeLA wrote:Would there be some settings changes to Symantec's programs which might help Awasu?

IIRC, there is some setting to tell it to not check activity in a specified directory. I think setting this to the Awasu installation directory stops it from going bananas every time Awasu touches the disk (which it does a lot).

TrackSnakeLA wrote:Also, the Awasu.log file seems to be empty when I open it in Notepad, so what am I missing that I could send you?

Have you created the file in the correct location (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME)? Is it exactly as I gave above?

Another possibility is that the output is being buffered somewhere. Exit Awasu, make sure it's finished in Task Manager, and then check the file again.

I think it's worth getting this log file going. Awasu records timestamps every time it logs something and I suspect we will see things happening very slowly as the AV get its paws into everything :roll:

sayad

Postby sayad » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:14 pm

i m having similar problems with awasu...

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”