edward

Postby edward » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 am

Been looking for a reliable fast and easy to use RSS reader, primarily to monitor multiple eBay and Craigslist listings. Just dLd Awasu based on some positive reviews. I have a couple initial questions.

I want to see the date of the post in the upper right frame where the items/articles appear on a single line. Do I have this right, that is not possible in the free addition? I went to properties, Item pane, +. Is that the right place?

I also tried to add a filter. I presume that is what I need to do if I want to limit the items displayed to those that meet search criteria. Again: "This feature is not available in the Personal Edition". The feature list says I should be limited to 5 filters. What gives?

Missing Menu Items: After moving around the interface and importing some channels i look at the menu bar and there are only 3 items there, Edit, View and Favorites. What happened to the File, Tools, Help, etc. Items?????

Then I found the Channel filters item on the View menu and completed a filter that I wanted to include all the items from all channels in a folder. I put several free Craigslist feeds into a folder before setting this up. I had previously tried clicking on the folder which in other readers I've used shows all items in channels in that folder but apparently Awasu does not work that way. Thought maybe this would be the way to do it. I left the search field empty. That did not seem to be the way to do what I want. Is there a way to view items from multiple channels in the same list?

The other readers I've tried (Feeddemon, Snarfer and Newsjungle) all have given me problems in that they seem to miss updates and either have gaps in the articles or are unable to keep up with the number of feeds I'm trying to monitor (30 - 40 feeds, combination of Craig's list For Sale Listings and eBay searches) so that the most recent post is several hours behind. Was hoping Awasu might be a solution and hopefully I'm just having difficulty understanding the UI.

Thanks for your help.
ed

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:49 am

edward wrote:I want to see the date of the post in the upper right frame where the items/articles appear on a single line. Do I have this right, that is not possible in the free addition? I went to properties, Item pane, +. Is that the right place?

Yes and yes. Trial versions of the Advanced and Pro Editions are available here. You can just install these on top of your existing Personal Edition.

edward wrote:I also tried to add a filter. I presume that is what I need to do if I want to limit the items displayed to those that meet search criteria. Again: "This feature is not available in the Personal Edition". The feature list says I should be limited to 5 filters. What gives?

The trial versions are fully functional and let you experiment with all the features.

edward wrote:Missing Menu Items: After moving around the interface and importing some channels i look at the menu bar and there are only 3 items there, Edit, View and Favorites. What happened to the File, Tools, Help, etc. Items?????

Not quite sure how this could've happened. The UI is very customizable so maybe some things got customized away :-) Exit Awasu and run <tt>ResetUi.exe</tt> (in the Awasu installation directory e.g. <tt>C:/Program Files/Awasu</tt>).

edward wrote:Then I found the Channel filters item on the View menu and completed a filter that I wanted to include all the items from all channels in a folder.

Channel filters are used to restrict what channels get shown in the <i>My Channels</i> window (if you subscribe to hundreds of channels, it's useful to be able to restrict the view to a subset of them).

edward wrote:Is there a way to view items from multiple channels in the same list?

The way to combine content from multiple channels is via channel reports.

edward wrote:or are unable to keep up with the number of feeds I'm trying to monitor (30 - 40 feeds, combination of Craig's list For Sale Listings and eBay searches)

I know there are at least several people out there using Awasu to monitor thousands of channels :bigshock: so you should find it able to keep up :-)

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”