prairieprog

Postby prairieprog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:55 pm

For some reason, Awasu recently began trying to get feeds from channels that have been deleted. When it does, it usually pops up an error message that says the attempt to connect to the server timed out.

Why would it be trying to get feeds from channels for which it hasn't tried to get feeds for several weeks? Is there something I am doing (see below) to cause this and how can I stop Awasu from doing this?

FWIW, I am running Advanced Edition 2.2 and generally (if not always) delete a channel by right clicking on it in the Control Center. I almost always (unless I get distracted) save the sync data when I exit the program but usually simply hit "Cancel" when it asks me if I want to load it when I start the program the next time (figuring I don't need to sync the same computer).. Finally, the machine on which I am noticing this problem is a laptop with Windows XP (SP2) and 1 gig RAM.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:40 pm

prairieprog wrote:For some reason, Awasu recently began trying to get feeds from channels that have been deleted.

There was an issue with older versions of Awasu where deleted channels would sometimes come back to life i.e. you delete them and the next time Awasu is run, they appear again in My Channels, especially if you deleted them while Awasu was busy updating lots of channels.

This was fixed in the 2.2.3 beta.

prairieprog

Postby prairieprog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:05 pm

So the only way to solve it is to move to a beta version? And, FWIW, the deleted channels that came back to life today were deleted several weeks ago, not when I last ran the program yesterday.

The response reminds me of another question I've been meaning to ask. I have the options set to "Let me know about new releases." I've noticed 2.2.1 through 2.2.4 as they've appeared and been noted on the Awasu feed. But when I click on the release notes for any of them I am told they are "beta" and "Install at your own risk!"

Thus, I presume a "new release" means only when 2.3 or 3.0 comes out as a "General Release." At what point, if any, do we know when a "beta" version is no longer an "Install at your own risk!" proposition? I hate to go through the sequential effort of installing 3 or 4 beta releases only to find out I did something wrong or one of them hosed my program or channels such that I have to go back and start from scratch.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:23 pm

prairieprog wrote:So the only way to solve it is to move to a beta version?

The bug I mentioned happened if the channel decided it was due for an update, was put in the queue (Awasu doesn't update every channel at once, they have to queue up) and you then delete the channel before it got a chance to update. This most commonly happened just after starting Awasu and most of your channels are waiting to update. The work-around is to wait until Awasu is idle (or mostly idle) before deleting channels.

prairieprog wrote:And, FWIW, the deleted channels that came back to life today were deleted several weeks ago

It could still be an issue if the channel was set to update only once every two weeks :-) Has the channel in question re-appeared in My Channels? If it hasn't, then it's something else.

prairieprog wrote:The response reminds me of another question I've been meaning to ask. I have the options set to "Let me know about new releases." I've noticed 2.2.1 through 2.2.4 as they've appeared and been noted on the Awasu feed.

There are two checkboxes there, one for general releases (e.g. 2.1 or 2.2) and one for beta releases (e.g. 2.1.1 or 2.2.4).

prairieprog wrote:But when I click on the release notes for any of them I am told they are "beta" and "Install at your own risk!"

The "beta" tag refers more to how they are packaged rather than a comment on the quality of the code. There is no installer so you have to unpack a ZIP file, perhaps run ARCHIVE.EXE or ADMIN.EXE and maybe copy/delete one or two files. All fairly simple if you know a bit about computers. The software itself is well-tested and as bug-free as we can make it :-)

prairieprog wrote:I hate to go through the sequential effort of installing 3 or 4 beta releases only to find out I did something wrong or one of them hosed my program or channels such that I have to go back and start from scratch.

Upgrading is a relatively risk-free process, <u>as long as you follow the instructions</u>. People who have had problems invariably turn out to have not read the instructions properly :roll: If you back up the Awasu directory before you start, you'll always be OK. Even if things go completely wrong, the worst that will happen is that you will lose your archived content. Your channels and settings will always be there.

prairieprog

Postby prairieprog » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 pm

It could still be an issue if the channel was set to update only once every two weeks

Each of the deleted channels would have been set to update at no more than hourly.

Has the channel in question re-appeared in My Channels? If it hasn't, then it's something else.

No. The channels that are doing this are not reappearing in My Channels, which is why I found it so odd.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:42 pm

prairieprog wrote:The channels that are doing this are not reappearing in My Channels, which is why I found it so odd.

How do you know they are being updated? Is something appearing in the Activity Log?

Check your user's Channels directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Awasu\Users\YOUR-NAME\Channels) for a .CHANNEL file that has a name similar to the feed URL of the channel(s) you are referring to. If there is such a file, it still exists in Awasu (maybe you have a channel filter active that is filtering it out)?

Return to “Awasu - Bug Reports”