squeg
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:59 am
Contact:

Postby squeg » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:39 am

Channel Filters:

I've had another idea for making it easier to switch between filters. I have problems with hotkeys because, 1. i often forget them, and 2. certain programs that i otherwise love have implemented draconian system wide hotkey policies that force me to create non-intuitive hotkey combinations that lead to problem #1.

So my solution would be the option to add a small dropdown menu to the button bar that displays the currently active filter and allows you to switch to any other filter. This would be similar to the dropdown widget in MS visual studio that allows you to switch between build options from the button bar.

Alternatively, some changes to the UI on the filter dialog couldn't hurt either. Basically, what i'd really like to be able to do is change filters in just a couple clicks. For instance, if I could click the filter button, then double click the filter name and have the filter apply and the dialog dissappear, that would be great. As it is, having the double-click enter "edit" mode is kind of non-intuitive because in my mind you edit a filter much less often than you switch filters. The current setup is obviously created around the idea that hotkeys would be used extensively for switching and the dialog would primarily be used for editing.

------------

Item Filters (within a single channel):

Again a hotkey vs. mouse thing. Hotkeys work okay for me for toggling my view mode between read items and all items in a feed (because there are only two options), but I'd still like to see an easier way to do this with the mouse. For instance, how about a button on the channels individual button bar that toggled between "unread only" and "show all".

Also in terms of the hotkey for this function, since there really are only two options, it would be nice if a single hotkey could be set to just toggle the mode rather than having to use two key combinations.

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:48 am

squeg wrote:So my solution would be the option to add a small dropdown menu to the button bar that displays the currently active filter and allows you to switch to any other filter. This would be similar to the dropdown widget in MS visual studio that allows you to switch between build options from the button bar.


The plan is once I get around to implementing a multi-select My Channels, I'll also add a droplist to the top of the Control Centre that will let you change the current filter.

squeg wrote:Again a hotkey vs. mouse thing. Hotkeys work okay for me for toggling my view mode between read items and all items in a feed (because there are only two options), but I'd still like to see an easier way to do this with the mouse. For instance, how about a button on the channels individual button bar that toggled between "unread only" and "show all".


Good idea. I would never have picked you as a mouse-jockey :-)

squeg wrote:Also in terms of the hotkey for this function, since there really are only two options, it would be nice if a single hotkey could be set to just toggle the mode rather than having to use two key combinations.


You can reconfigure the key bindings - <i>Tools|Customize|Keyboard</i>.

Guest

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:31 am

Good idea. I would never have picked you as a mouse-jockey
You say that like it's a bad thing. :P

Okay, i started to write up a big excuse for why i use the mouse... but i've reconsidered. Instead, I will defend my honor by saying i've been using a little windows application called "wonderful icon" since the mid-nineties to enforce my own personal keyboard shortcuts upon every version of windows since 98 first edition. I'm just too lazy to learn many more. :) I'd say i'm probably 30%/70% keyboard to mouse for the OS and universal shortcuts... but only like 5%/95% when it comes to program specific shortcuts.

For instance, how about a button on the channels individual button bar that toggled between "unread only" and "show all".
Upon further consideration i guess this would have to be a 3-way toggle as you also have "show new". I never use that, can you tell :)

User avatar
support
Site Admin
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:48 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby support » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:45 am

Anonymous wrote:You say that like it's a bad thing. :P


No comment :-) I'm a hard-core keyboard guy (I live by WinKey). One thing you might notice about the Awasu default key mappings is that a lot of the most commonly used ones are left-hand only. I chug through my channels really quickly with the left hand on the keyboard and the right on the mouse.

For instance, how about a button on the channels individual button bar that toggled between "unread only" and "show all".
Upon further consideration i guess this would have to be a 3-way toggle as you also have "show new". I never use that, can you tell :)


It's easy to do, only thinking about the things that you need yourself :-)


Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests