kleinfelter

Postby kleinfelter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:44 am

I'd really like to see Awasu add a user defined delay at two points:
1. Start up
2. Resume (from standby)

Rationale:
1. When my PC boots, it is really busy, so early web access times out, resulting in a bazillion error toast. Also, I use wireless networking, so even if things weren't busy, it often takes 20-30 seconds to associate and do DHCP. Starting Awasu from my Startup folder results in a bunch of DNS errors.

2. So I put my laptop into sleep mode. Then I wake it up. Then Awasu delivers a bunch of time-out error messages.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:13 pm

kleinfelter wrote:I'd really like to see Awasu add a user defined delay at two points:
1. Start up
2. Resume (from standby)

I'm not quite sure how to do it from a resume but for startup, I'll add something for you to configure a delay.

In the meantime, I wrote a little utility that will acheive the same effect. Save this in the Awasu installation directory and add it to your Startup folder. It will delay for a while before starting awasu.exe. The default delay is 60 seconds or you can specify a number of seconds in the command line.

It was quite pleasant sitting on the beach, writing this little thing. I got a few odd looks from the tourists for having a laptop out but I don't care... :-)

kleinfelter

Postby kleinfelter » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:41 pm

To handle suspend/resume, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... adcast.asp. The short form is that Windows already sends a WM_POWERBROADCAST to your main application window. All you have to do is to start processing them.

If I were designing it, I'd have a single delay-first-fetch field in the appropriate configuration dialog, and I'd apply this delay at initial start-up and also upon resume-from-suspend.

I'm surprised this isn't an issue for all laptop users. I suspend and resume twice a day (work to home; home to work). Maybe everyone else reboots?

Along the same lines, it would be really spiffy if Awasu would refrain from issuing error toast when there is no active network connection. I'd prefer to just leave Awasu running whenever my laptop is running. Now, when I'm out of touch of my work LAN or my home wireless, I have to shut Awasu down in order to skip the errors. (I do want to see them if I'm networked!)
Thanks!

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:46 am

kleinfelter wrote:Along the same lines, it would be really spiffy if Awasu would refrain from issuing error toast when there is no active network connection.

You can do this already: Program Options | Advanced tab | Auto-detect an Internet connection.

I'll take a look at the other stuff - thanks for the info.

kleinfelter

Postby kleinfelter » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

Ohhhh... So *thats* what that option means. Thanks for the pointer!

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”