pako

Postby pako » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to reinstall AWASU 2.3 from scratch ( I had V 2.3 earlier but to upgrade I need 2.3.3).
I ran the backup for the /users/xxxx/Appdata/roaming/

I tried to upgrade to 2.3.4 but I was informed that I must have 2.3.3 in place first.
I downloaded 2.3.3, installed it and when clicking on the Awasu in Start>Programs>Awasu, I get a message that the program could not be found after moving back the AWASU folder content previously saved.

So I uninstalled EVERYTHING, including what was in the registry to start a brand new install for 2.3.

Downloading form AWASU site I get me a 2.3c (?) version that once installed asks for upgrade using ADMIN.EXE

The Admin.exe issues the following error message:

- ERROR: no such function: rename_channel_config_key (rc=1).

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thank you for any help.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm

First, are you trying to have a 2.3 installation or a 2.3.4 installation?

To completely remove an Awasu installation:
(*) Run <tt>ResetUi.exe</tt> (to remove your UI settings from the Registry).
(*) Run the un-installer (assuming you used the installer in the first place)
(*) Remove the directory Awasu was installed in.
(*) Remove the local and roaming data directories.

Then, to install 2.3, just run the installer EXE. If this is all you want, you can stop here.

If you want to upgrade to 2.3.4, you must first upgrade to 2.3.1, then 2.3.2, then 2.3.3 (i.e. you can't go straight from 2.3 to 2.3.3). It's a straight-forward process, just a little tedious if you have to do so many at once.

What I suspect happened with you is this: when Awasu starts, it checks for a <tt>Awasu.upgrade</tt> file and if it finds one, says you need to run <tt>ADMIN.EXE</tt> to upgrade. This file specifies what needs to be done to do an upgrade so <tt>ADMIN.EXE</tt> processes this file to upgrade everything and if it all works OK, deletes the file so that Awasu will now start.

Now, the un-installer only removes files it installed in the first place, so if you add extra files to the Awasu installation directory, the un-installer won't remove them. I'm guessing you've unpacked a beta ZIP file and then later run the un-installer. It won't delete <tt>Awasu.upgrade</tt> (because it didn't put it there in the first place) so when you re-installed 2.3 again later, that file was still there, hence Awasu complains about you needing to upgrade. This is why step 3 above (delete the installation directory) is important, to make sure everything's gone.

pako

Postby pako » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did as instructed and the upgrade.exe was still there. Since I have no much time right now to go through the whole upgrade process, i just deleted the upgrade.exe and AWASU started up OK.

Unless i misread it, the instructions for removal of the AWASU do not mention the ResetUi.exe and the AWASU backup from the users/LOCAL. It mentions only the backup from users/ROAMING.

I'm probably wrong on this as I should have read the instructions more carefully.

One question remains.

I did a backup of my former 2.3 users/ROAMING but not of the LOCAL one.

I'd like to move back the channels I already had.

Should I move them both to LOCAL and ROAMING or just to ROAMING?

Sorry for being so dummy.

Thanks you for the help.

Best Regards

pako

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:12 am

pako wrote:I did as instructed and the upgrade.exe was still there. Since I have no much time right now to go through the whole upgrade process, i just deleted the upgrade.exe and AWASU started up OK.

You mean <tt>Awasu.upgrade</tt>, right? :-)

I forgot to mention that it is also possible to install 2.3.4 directly, assuming you don't have an Awasu installation already. Follow the instructions on the release page for creating a clean installation.

pako wrote:Unless i misread it, the instructions for removal of the AWASU do not mention the ResetUi.exe

What instructions are you refering to?

pako wrote:I'd like to move back the channels I already had.

Should I move them both to LOCAL and ROAMING or just to ROAMING?

This page explains what is stored in each directory.

Backing up the files and then putting them back assumes that you are running the same version of Awasu before and after. Doing what you've done means that your channels won't have been upgraded. Just put your roaming data directory back where it came from, things will be a bit of a mess but it will probably work.

pako

Postby pako » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:37 pm

Yeah. I'm an idiot.

The Help states clearly ROAMING AND LOCAL. Kick me.

Yes, it was AWASU.upgrade. Kick me, again.

I'd call instructions what is in the Help (although technically they are not). Anyway I didn't find anything on RESETUI.

I'll try to install the 2.3.4 directly and see what happens. I'll do this next weekend at home. I'll give you a feedback.

Thanks for the help and sorry about my mistakes.

Best Regards

Pako

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”