mapapo

Postby mapapo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi and greetings from Austria,

I bought Awasu professional and use it in Portable mode since I have all my Work-Files on an USB-Harddisk.

Question 1:
I am using now my new Awasu on my Notebook and had to re-enter the Registration-Details. I hope I have do do it just once on each PC ?
(Though storing the registration-Details locally on the machine is not really good regarding portability.

Question 2:
I made configured some Keyboard-Shortcuts and they seem also to be stored somewhere else since I had to enter them again on my Notebook though all other settings seem to be in the Users-Directory.

Regards

Martin

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:57 pm

mapapo wrote:Question 1:
I am using now my new Awasu on my Notebook and had to re-enter the Registration-Details. I hope I have do do it just once on each PC ?
(Though storing the registration-Details locally on the machine is not really good regarding portability.

Aaaargh! Why do these things always come up just before a release?! :wall:

You've just found a problem with how Awasu stores encrypted information in its config files. It's not going to work too well in portable mode :-(

The license key is stored on your USB drive, not the PC, but it's encrypted and Awasu will not be able to decrypt it on a machine other than the one it was saved on. So you're going to have to re-enter the license key every time you change machines.

Let me have a ponder on how to work around this...

mapapo wrote:Question 2:
I made configured some Keyboard-Shortcuts and they seem also to be stored somewhere else since I had to enter them again on my Notebook though all other settings seem to be in the Users-Directory.

Yes, the UI settings are stored in the Registry. That kind of stuff is handled by the third-party GUI toolkit Awasu uses. I had a look at saving it in Awasu's config files but it would've been a huge amount of work :-(

mapapo

Postby mapapo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 pm

support wrote:Aaaargh! Why do these things always come up just before a release?! :wall:

You've just found a problem with how Awasu stores encrypted information in its config files. It's not going to work too well in portable mode :-(

Let me have a ponder on how to work around this...

Okidok, the second question isnt that important, I normally switch between 2 Pcs, maybe on vacation the Notebook my doughter uses as a third one, I can live with configuring the Keyboard-Shortcuts on all of them, But the Registration-Problem is Aaaaargh, your right :)

Hope to see a fix soon.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:30 am

mapapo wrote:But the Registration-Problem is Aaaaargh, your right :)

Have you checked out the sync feature? :-)

mapapo

Postby mapapo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:27 am

support wrote:
mapapo wrote:But the Registration-Problem is Aaaaargh, your right :)

Have you checked out the sync feature? :-)

Thanks, that would be an Interim-Solution, but to be honest, I hope that a fix for the problem will be there soon ;)

BTW: To my second problem. Where is the Configuration for Key-Assignment stored in the registry? I could export my tweaks and import them on the new machine?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:19 am

mapapo wrote:I hope that a fix for the problem will be there soon

I'm playing with a few ideas now but even once it gets implemented, there's still the question of getting it out to you.

What version are you running now? If you're running the latest 2,3,4 beta, it's easy - the fix will be part of 2.3.5 and you just upgrade to that as per normal.

However, if you're on 2.3, it's a bit trickier. You either have to upgrade through the betas to be able to get onto 2.3.5, or wait for the 2.4 general release (a few months away). Alternatively, if you send me your <tt>BUILD.INFO</tt> file (in your local data directory, I can send you a special version of 2.3 with the fix in it for your testing pleasure.

mapapo wrote:Where is the Configuration for Key-Assignment stored in the registry?

<tt>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Awasu\Awasu\Settings</tt>

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”