zakky

Postby zakky » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:00 am

Hi,

I would like to be able to delete news items in a search channel result window.

Here is why:

1) We screen our feeds based upon a set of criterion for each search channel.
2) New findings will gathered in each search channel window and will be manually examined for accuracy (noise is removed).
3) A channel report is executed and delivered to the end client via Awasus email feature.

Now the problem is that I am not sure where the best place is to manually remove non-important news items. It looks to me that it would make most sense to be able to remove items from the search channel window and only then manually run the channel report, because running the channel report can also be set-up to automatically send the email, which i like very much. If I would have to manually delete non-important items from the email I would have to send the email to an internal recipient first who then removes them and has to forward the email manually.

I do see that there is already a selectable icon 'Send to' on each news. It would be perfect if one could select 'delete item' there as well.

What do you think?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I'm still out on the road :-(

zakky wrote:I would like to be able to delete news items in a search channel result window.

One of the key principles behind Awasu's design is to make it easy for the user to manage large amounts of information coming in. Many feed readers try to emulate email programs and force you delete each feed item to make it go away which is completely unmanageable if you're getting thousands each day. Hence, Awasu's design where you specify how long you want to keep items for, after which they automatically disappear.

The feature you're asking for is so specialized, I can't see anybody else wanting it and so I'd be hesitant to put it in. You're trying to remove items you don't want but why not do it the other way around and keep the items you want. This is actually the way Awasu was designed: add feed items you want to a workpad, then run a report for the workpad. Reports can be configured to clear the workpad after they're run, so you get a clean slate for the next time around. It also has the advantage that you can add your own annotations to each feed item.

Alternatively, if you have someone who can do a bit of programming, you could save all the incoming items in a database (using the MySQL channel hook) and then write a little program that grabbed them, let you choose which ones to include in the email, and then send them out.

zakky

Postby zakky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 am

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I do see your point.

I think it comes down to the question whether its selected the few items that are of interest from a larger list of items that are of no interest, or, to delete the few items that are of no interest from a larger list of items that are of interest.

What I am trying to do with the search channel is to already significantly reduce 'noise' using a well defined universe of search criterion. Now as there will still from time to time appear a non-relevant item in the output window of the search channel it would have been very easy for my people to simply delete such items, before then running a channel report on this search channel, which automatically sends the remaining output to our clients.

I would say that both approaches make sense and should be possible:

a) send items to notepad, or
b) being able to delete the few non-relevant ones, and

c) producing the channel report either from notepad or search channel window.

I would expect that it should be quite simple to add a 'delete' option/feature to the the 'hover-menu' of the search channel output window, or am I wrong?

I could definitely implement a database based solution, however, I would prefer that the whole process takes place in Awasu, which means that my people only need one front end to work with; all is done in Awasu.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 am

zakky wrote:c) producing the channel report either from notepad or search channel window.

You can already do both of these. The latter can be done by setting up your filter to only include the one channel.

zakky wrote:I would expect that it should be quite simple to add a 'delete' option/feature to the the 'hover-menu' of the search channel output window, or am I wrong?

Nothing is ever that simple :-) Writing the feature might be straight-forward (but due to the internal structure of the database, it might not), but then it's one more thing that needs to be maintained, tested and documented for every release. Awasu's UI is already very cluttered and I'm very reluctant to exacerbate that with a feature that virtually no-one is going to use.

I'll have a ponder about how best to do this...

zakky

Postby zakky » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:23 am

You can already do both of these. The latter can be done by setting up your filter to only include the one channel.

I know. I am doing the second. its a cool feature.

Nothing is ever that simple

don't tell me that. :) but it wouldn't be helping if I were saying that it will cause you lots of headache, now would it? :)

virtually no-one is going to use

i disagree (what else). end users will not need it, true. but anyone furnishing a service using your software is likely to want to have it.

I would love to see it done.

best regards

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”