MikeW

Postby MikeW » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:05 pm

1. How about the ability to set a list of filters per channel - as seen in http://www.userscape.com/blog/2005/09/2 ... oble-back/ so I can exclude and include items from the feed.

2. Apply the search agent to one or many channels.
I have a running search agent looking for 'AJAX' which I would have liked to have on just a few select channels. Instead it applies it to all channels and includes almost every post on Planet Ajaxian :/

3. Search per channel.
I really would like the ability to go into one of my channels, press search and allow me to filter THIS CHANNEL ONLY.

4. Better offline support.
I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum. But when I load up a feed in 'Full Content' mode thats graphics heavy, and a couple more. After I disconnect from the internet and come back to it a bit later on to view it, I find that all the images have vanished. It seems IE didn't cache them for long enough. Personally I would like it if for each item in a feed, awasu could grab the content of that item, the images, and be able to display it in offline mode.

MikeW

Postby MikeW » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:24 pm

5. Ad filtering
Wow, ads in RSS feeds are getting more and more annoying. Some of them don't even seem to have the ads embedded in the feed but applied with some external combo of script and xsl or something. I havn't looked too much into it, but could some good sole create some filter that awasu could read and be applied?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:28 am

Thanks for the feedback. A lot of these are already on The List, so it's just a matter of squeezing them in to the schedule somewhere :whip:

MikeW wrote:1. How about the ability to set a list of filters per channel - as seen in http://www.userscape.com/blog/2005/09/2 ... oble-back/ so I can exclude and include items from the feed.

You could probably do this with an XSLT right now although making it as easy as entering a bunch of search terms is a Great Idea. It would also be possible to write a quick plugin that took a feed URL and a regular expression as parameters, downloaded the feed and then stripped out items if they matched the RE.

MikeW wrote:2. Apply the search agent to one or many channels.

I have a running search agent looking for 'AJAX' which I would have liked to have on just a few select channels. Instead it applies it to all channels and includes almost every post on Planet Ajaxian :/

We will be allowing for this soon, letting you restrict searches (and search agents) to channels that pass a filter.

MikeW wrote:3. Search per channel.
I really would like the ability to go into one of my channels, press search and allow me to filter THIS CHANNEL ONLY.

This will come as part of the ability to restrict a search to a particular channel filter. I just open the channel and press Ctrl-F to search for text on the page :-)

MikeW wrote:4. Better offline support.
I mentioned this elsewhere on the forum. But when I load up a feed in 'Full Content' mode thats graphics heavy, and a couple more. After I disconnect from the internet and come back to it a bit later on to view it, I find that all the images have vanished. It seems IE didn't cache them for long enough. Personally I would like it if for each item in a feed, awasu could grab the content of that item, the images, and be able to display it in offline mode.

I'm not sure how IE decides when to flush stuff out of the cache - I'll take a look. Increasing the size of the Temporary Internet Files Folder might help.

MikeW wrote:5. Ad filtering
Wow, ads in RSS feeds are getting more and more annoying. Some of them don't even seem to have the ads embedded in the feed but applied with some external combo of script and xsl or something. I havn't looked too much into it, but could some good sole create some filter that awasu could read and be applied?

Agreed :-) You could do it with an XSLT or plugin. We're also planning to add a feature to let scripts be attached to a channel that lets you fiddle with the feed *before* it gets processed in Awasu (e.g. strip ads). We will definitely be adding a feature soon that strips JavaScript, etc. from a feed (which will get rid of some ads) but we could also add something to block images by domain :?

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:30 pm

MikeW wrote:1. How about the ability to set a list of filters per channel - as seen in http://www.userscape.com/blog/2005/09/2 ... oble-back/ so I can exclude and include items from the feed.

Check out this for a plugin that will let you filter feed items by content.

targon

Postby targon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:01 am

Filtering content wouldn't be difficult to do with an XSLT stylesheet, either. If anybody needs it (for example, if they're already using a plugin, for combining channels etc), I can take a look at it (though not for the next couple of weeks). I've been thinking of doing this for myself (to combine several newsfeeds but just show me the items I'm looking for), but added incentive is always a plus. :)
Tero

Return to “Awasu - Feature Requests”