rawlesc12

Postby rawlesc12 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 pm

I have about 400 channels and I want to create a channel hook for all of them but it would be very timely to create it for each one individually. The channel hook that I was hoping to create is a hook that would make a window pop up in the screen whenever a new article was found by one of my channels. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rawlesc12

Postby rawlesc12 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:13 pm

I found this on the Awasu website under examples of uses of channel hooks... This is literally exactly what I hope to do with my 400 channels.

Search the Internet for articles and save them in a database

If you are a researcher, you will probably have quite a few channels relating to your field of interest. A channel hook can be set up that gets called every time new items are found on any of those channels. The new items can be checked for certain words or concepts and if they match, saved in a database. Leave Awasu running for a while and pretty soon, you'll have a database full of items directly related to the subject you are interested in.

I am not experienced in writing plugins or anything of that nature. If you could help me get started that would be great.

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 am

rawlesc12 wrote:I have about 400 channels and I want to create a channel hook for all of them...

I've thought about inquiring into "Global Channel Hooks"; define them once and they run for all Channels, but I never approached Taka with it.

One thing to consider is do you really need a Channel Hook for all 400 channels, or maybe just on your Search Channels which are already more focused on the content that is most important to you?

It seems like the MySQL Channel Hook linked to your Search Channels might be all you need, but we'll see what Taka says.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:39 am

rawlesc12 wrote:The channel hook that I was hoping to create is a hook that would make a window pop up in the screen whenever a new article was found by one of my channels.

You mean popup toast windows like the one here? This is built into Awasu, just open the Properties for a channel and on the first page, tick <i>Show a notification balloon</i>. You also need to make sure that <i>Show notification balloons</i> is ticked in the <i>General</i> page of the Program Options dialog.

It might get a bit tedious doing this for all 400 channels :roll: so exit Awasu and run <tt>ChannelMaintenance.exe</tt> (found in the Awasu installation directory). Select all your channels, choose <i>Notify On New Item</i> in the <i>Setting</i> box and set it to be 1.

support
Site Admin

Postby support » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:42 am

kevotheclone wrote:I've thought about inquiring into "Global Channel Hooks"; define them once and they run for all Channels, but I never approached Taka with it.

Yes, I had thought about putting something like this in but I couldn't really think of why people might want it, other than to use the MySQL hook and put <i>everything</i> into a database. And the performance hit would be somewhere between Really Bad and Truly Horrendous :roll:

kevotheclone wrote:One thing to consider is do you really need a Channel Hook for all 400 channels, or maybe just on your Search Channels which are already more focused on the content that is most important to you?

Exactly :-)

kevotheclone

Postby kevotheclone » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:57 pm

support wrote:...I couldn't really think of why people might want it, other than to use the MySQL hook and put <i>everything</i> into a database.

:drevil: I won't discuss all of the details of why I thought I might need a Global Channel Hook here, instead I'll post a description of it to the Plugins forum (real soon, I promise) where it really belongs.

I will state that yes my perceived Global Channel Hook need would basically insert/update a database that would get processed later by an Application Plugin, and admittedly, 1) it may be more of a vertical application that many people might not be interested in, and 2) due to the large file size of the third-party libraries involved and their licenses, it might be hard/impossible to completely distribute it to users via Awasu's wiki; they might have to download and manually install portions of it themselves from the third-parties' libraries web site(s), so installation could be a little cumbersome.

But thanks to Awasu's versatility (in this case Channel Reports using the MetaChannel.template) I do have an alternative way of achieving the same end result without a Global Channel Hook. So if I can't "zig" I usually find a way to "zag", and thankfully Awasu offers a "zag" in this scenario. If fact, I think the "zag" solution might actually be better than the original "zig" solution. Confused? :?
I'll move forward with it for myself, and if you guys think that it has some merit and the installation can be simplified, then Awasu wiki here it comes.

Return to “Awasu - General Discussion”